Wifes .257 weatherby Mag bullet Delima..

Yes I agree. Bullets that stay together are most definitely in order. The good news on that little hot rod 22 cal is it stayed together and exited.

Steve

I tried the cutting edge but couldn't get them much under a inch and the Barnes were cutting one hole.I have some that I will make a deal on.

I have a 257 weatherby that I shot since I was a kid. my father used it on anything that moved. The diameter of the bullet is small so I prefer frangible bullets over stout ones on small deer. They never go far, and most are DRT. I shoot a 115 NBT and it has a velocity of 3,300 ft/sc. Shot placement is a bigger factor than bullet type, and you have to shoot where the bullet will perform the best..... I prefer shooting high behind the front shoulder to destroy the lungs and shock the nervous system. Shortest range was 100 yards and the bullet exited the off side shoulder and it looked like a grenade went off inside..... shredded the heart and lungs and dumped most of the energy before the exit.... if you shoot solids like the tsx the best shots are usully shoulder shots to help expand the bullet from hitting bone. They all work well.

And worried you rightfully should be. Two cons here right off the bat: high velocity at short range, and a frangible bullet at long range and if close up, who knows what would happen. Con #3 is smaller bullet.

You wrote that she has up to 400 yards. So forget the Bergers. I've killed about 5 deer at 50 yards and under with Bergers but they were bigger bullets: 150s in .277 and 210s in .308. No problems.

For 400 and less yards, try a bonded tipped bullet like the Scirocco (my favorite bonded) or the AB. In fact, just about any good bullet will work at that distance. I'd even consider a TTSX and if I were in her stand, I'd purposely aim at shoulder.

Thinking about it, I'd go with the TTSX hands down. You can't go wrong, especially with the velocities the 257 can produce. My experience is the TTSX and TSX love high velocities in each rifle I've used them in.
Bergers have zero issue have killed deer elk from 40yds to 450yds w 115 berger yet to have failure in regards to barnes bullets since redesign there simple not reliable I've seen several ttsx and tsx bullets fail on elk both were recovered within 3" of hide from high velocity magnum first was a 110 yd shot on broadside bull out of 300 win mag w federal 180 grn ttsx second was 160grn tsx out of 7-300 win mag handloaded at 3340 on a cow elk at 72yds bullet failed to penetrate exploded on impact biggest chunk recovered was 42grns