257 weatherby

284wins

Hi everyone,

Got a chance to buy a 257 weatherby and have some question.

Sins im not a fan of mono bullet I wonder how the speer btsp, eld-x or eld-m class of bullet will do at range under 100 yrds?

I do look for 200yds shoot or more but if the deer step out at 50yrds dont what to loose à deer to lack of penetration.

Have expérience with the speer and eld-x in 308 win and 7mm mag with dead deer everytime but their not as fast as the 257 weatherby.

Hi everyone,

Got a chance to buy a 257 weatherby and have some question.

Sins im not a fan of mono bullet I wonder how the speer btsp, eld-x or eld-m class of bullet will do at range under 100 yrds?

I do look for 200yds shoot or more but if the deer step out at 50yrds dont what to loose à deer to lack of penetration.

Have expérience with the speer and eld-x in 308 win and 7mm mag with dead deer everytime but their not as fast as the 257 weatherby.
Go for it! You should be OK with the proper shot placement.

Man I don't have a 257 WBY nor have I hunted with one. But I have developed loads for them many years ago. I think the ELDM would be too splashy close in given the reports on then with impacts at 2600 fps with other calibers. I'm going to load the 180 ELDM out of my 7mm RM but with impact speeds around 2300 fps or less. The ELDX is tougher but still might still fragment too violently at WBY speeds. I think I'd want a Nosler Ballistic Tip at at a min at those speeds. Matt Smith would load a 100 gr Ballistic Tip out of a 6.5-280AI and take big elk so my best guess that in a 257 WBY the 115 gr BT would work well too.

Man I don't have a 257 WBY nor have I hunted with one. But I have developed loads for them many years ago. I think the ELDM would be too splashy close in given the reports on then with impacts at 2600 fps with other calibers. I'm going to load the 180 ELDM out of my 7mm RM but with impact speeds around 2300 fps or less. The ELDX is tougher but still might still fragment too violently at WBY speeds. I think I'd want a Nosler Ballistic Tip at at a min at those speeds. Matt Smith would load a 100 gr Ballistic Tip out of a 6.5-280AI and take big elk so my best guess that in a 257 WBY the 115 gr BT would work well too.
I have had good luck with Accubonds, TTSX, GMX, Partitions, SST's out of mine at ranges of 50 to 200 yds, and beyond. I haven't shot anything close with Bergers, but they worked well at 100 plus yds. This was on deer, hogs, coyotes etc.

SemperFi

I have had good luck with Accubonds, TTSX, GMX, Partitions, SST's out of mine at ranges of 50 to 200 yds, and beyond. I haven't shot anything close with Bergers, but they worked well at 100 plus yds.
Those are all tougher constructed except fo the SST's. But hey if they worked well for you I won't argue and will say maybe the ELDX would be fine closer in too. but I think I'd want some of the heavier constructed bullets for shots as close as 50 yards. I'm fine with your list of bullets.

We have killed a lot of deer big and small with the 257Bee with several CnC bullets with several examples inside 100 yards. We have not had any failure to penetrate. We have had some spectacular exits and some very impressive bruising (not unlike several non mag cartridges at close range with CnC bullets) with several brands and weights. The Sierra exposed lead tip bullets, 100 grain partitions, Hornady SST, and first gen Ballistic Tips were nasty, but killed very fast. My favorites for dead deer without as much mess are Sierra HPBT Gamekings, Accubond, Scirocco, 115 Partitons, and even though you don't like monos, the TSX/TTSX. The bullets on your list will certainly get the job done with reasonable placement.

I shot a 257 Bee for years, still have one. I have taken Antelope, Deer , Elk, Coyotes, Prairie Dogs, Marmots, Porcupine's even shot the heads off a few grouse with the 100 grain TTSX at 3500 FPS and never had any issues at all. Now I am using Hammers in most rifles as they are a local company to where I live an I believe in supporting the local economy, and they work great. Not sure why you don't like mono's but I think your missing out on a good thing in the BEE.

I shot a 257 Bee for years, still have one. I have taken Antelope, Deer , Elk, Coyotes, Prairie Dogs, Marmots, Porcupine's even shot the heads off a few grouse with the 100 grain TTSX at 3500 FPS and never had any issues at all. Now I am using Hammers in most rifles as they are a local company to where I live an I believe in supporting the local economy, and they work great. Not sure why you don't like mono's but I think your missing out on a good thing in the BEE.
Have seen to much mono bullet faild to open or change trajectory after hitting game that why. And the fact that they always exit often translate into less énergie dump in the animal.

But that like Ford vs chevrolet dilema at one point. You git to stick with what you like.

I'm going to be using either 115gr Ballistic Tips or 120gr Partitions in my new to me Mark V Ultra Lightweight in the 257 WBY Mag.
Depending upon where I hunt on expected ranges.
One area is woods. Ranges go from almost contact ( I had one deer at 20ft the other year) to about 150 yards.

The other area is a mix of gasline/power line and fields.
Ranges from contact to 1,500+ yards.

I'm going to be using either 115gr Ballistic Tips or 120gr Partitions in my new to me Mark V Ultra Lightweight in the 257 WBY Mag.
Depending upon where I hunt on expected ranges.
One area is woods. Ranges go from almost contact ( I had one deer at 20ft the other year) to about 150 yards.

The other area is a mix of gasline/power line and fields.
Ranges from contact to 1,500+ yards.
Give us info on your hunt!