257 weatherby

A sample of 1 is probably unlikely to change any minds but it does at least pertain to the topic @ hand.

Pictured is a 100gn Barnes TSX started @ 3650fps via 257Wby. It's was recovered from a Mule Deer buck taken at 600yds. Deer was quartering towards. The bullet impacted the point of the shoulder and was recovered under the hide just ahead of the off-side rear quarter. The deer slumped to the ground upon impact, kicked a few times and expired essentially in his tracks.

fullsizeoutput_d4.jpeg

Have seen to much mono bullet faild to open or change trajectory after hitting game that why. And the fact that they always exit often translate into less énergie dump in the animal.

But that like Ford vs chevrolet dilema at one point. You git to stick with what you like.
Energy dump, transfer, or whatever others call it, is another controversial topic, but not for me. According to the law of physics, energy transfer comes in many forms; the law of physics is not a myth.

As far as I know, Norma is the only one thus far to capture, test, and illustrate the transfer of energy at various distances.

Yes, velocity and energy drop as the bullet travels from point A to B, as illustrated below with a 145g Black Hole bullet. "My" unwritten rule is 1000 FT-LBS for deer, 1500 FT-LBS for elk, and 1800 FPS for this bullet at the point of impact. In this case, it is 800Y for elk and 1000Y for deer. Remember, kinetic energy is not the only factor to consider. Bullet design, construction, velocity, mass, BC, etc., could affect the level of energy transfer.

1693746672631.png

I have used a 257 weatherby since about 1996... on the non mono side--I have used 85 grain nosler BT, RN 117 grain bullet, 100 Speer, 115 grain Berger VLD, 110 eld-x, 117, and 120 grain partition. I would without hesitation shoot a deer at 50 yards with any of those bullets. You might lose some meat, you might have so trim up some bloodshot stuff--but with proper placement you will have a very dead animal on one end.

My wife shot a very big kudu bull with a 100 grain Speer and a 257 wby...guess what.....dead....

Attachments

• 17161AAC-C6A0-496B-AB80-0126D8F63E55.jpeg
    17161AAC-C6A0-496B-AB80-0126D8F63E55.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 51
I have used a 257 weatherby since about 1996... on the non mono side--I have used 85 grain nosler BT, RN 117 grain bullet, 100 Speer, 115 grain Berger VLD, 110 eld-x, 117, and 120 grain partition. I would without hesitation shoot a deer at 50 yards with any of those bullets. You might lose some meat, you might have so trim up some bloodshot stuff--but with proper placement you will have a very dead animal on one end.

My wife shot a very big kudu bull with a 100 grain Speer and a 257 wby...guess what.....dead....
Good to know, end Im à huge fan of the speer so that will help my choice

The energy dump nonsense is a myth. By the time the bullet travels through the animal it's expended most if not all of its tissue crushing energy.
Amen.

I use the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my 257 Weatherby, and it has performed flawlessly from <100 yards to >500 yards on deer and antelope. I have accumulated several boxes of factory ammo to last me for years as it shoots <0.5 inches at 200 yards in my rifle. It's the only rifle that I have yet to better its accuracy with handloads.

My business partner uses the factory-loaded 100gr Barnes TTSX and has similar results on game.

257 wby picked off a nice blacktail buck today on my birthday. Headshot at 270yds. Rifle pictures is not the one used. I carried it down to get deer because it's shorter and lighter. I was actually counting on a little bullet drop that didn't happen, hit where I was aiming and just a glancing blow but that 115 nos bt functioned well. Hunted 9 days for muleys in Eastern WA, come back home and half a day of hunting get this guy. He was bedded in that bare spot on end of ridge in center of photo.
IMG_20231025_114205.jpg

IMG_20231025_120306_02.jpg
20231025_115932.jpg

Any of them will be fine. I've hunted more with the 257 wby in the last 30 yrs than anything else and used a bunch of different bullets even the 87 grain spire point can account for many deer, varmints all the way up to a black bear.

I shot a cow elk at 260yrds with 257 weatherby and 115gr Berger HLVD. The first hit was a.good double lung but I wasn't sure of the hit, so I put a 2nd in her quartering away lung into shoulder.

She didn't make it 10 yards past the 2nd shot. I have loaded the 100gr TTSX and theynshot well too. I never put them on an animal though.

I shot a cow elk at 260yrds with 257 weatherby and 115gr Berger HLVD. The first hit was a.good double lung but I wasn't sure of the hit, so I put a 2nd in her quartering away lung into shoulder.

She didn't make it 10 yards past the 2nd shot. I have loaded the 100gr TTSX and theynshot well too. I never put them on an animal though.
I have shot any of deer and pigs with my 257 bee while using 100 grain tsx, I never have to track em. And they retain the weight

Sins I started this tread I whent with a 6.5x300 weatherby, got some 127gr lrx and some 130gr sirroco. Im sight in at 200yds with the sirroco due to the barns came in latte. Dame poi at 100yrd so will see what I use fir my hunt.

Will load next year for her

Sins I started this tread I whent with a 6.5x300 weatherby, got some 127gr lrx and some 130gr sirroco. Im sight in at 200yds with the sirroco due to the barns came in latte. Dame poi at 100yrd so will see what I use fir my hunt.

Will load next year for her
Keep us informed please. I have thought about ordering a barrel for one but just haven't talked myself into it yet. I understand it is about a 1000 round barrel before throat erosion gets to it

Will keep inform, with the lrx and sirroco it sub moa, but barrel is thin so get heat up fast. It not for long string shooting. Bit for hunting that great, dont kick much and it easy to 300yrds with out playing with the scope