.257 Whitetail Hunting Bullets.

I am interested on your load that dropped the game at 1100Y, If you are willing to share. If not, powder and MV to shoot for is OK. I have the 131 BJ and 133 Berger for my .257 WBTY to try. Thanks.
Most of that was done with my 25Creedmoor

It's an old thread, but I was thinking about 25-caliber cartridges. The first centerfire rifle I shot was my mother's .257 Roberts. I still have that rifle after 60 years. ;) Last November I shot a mule deer with a .257 Roberts in a Ruger No. 1, using a 110-gr. Nosler Accubond. It flipped over on its back and slid down the hill toward me. Range: about 150 yards. I do have a .257 Weatherby, but have not killed anything with it. I'm currently shopping for another .257 Wea. in a LH bolt action. The 25s just seem to work for me.

25/06

100g Hornady flat base or bt-FB thinks it is a partition
100g partitions

117g Hornady and Sierra are hands down winners.

R#26 will get you some incredible velocities with a cci 250 or fed 215 primer.

R#25 is not bad either with the 117's at 3200 fps with Win brass and Fed 215.

You will get complete penetration on deer with the 100g partitions, or at least I have, breaking shoulders all the way!

I have not tried the 100g TTSX in this caliber.

My all time favorite is the 117g Sierra btsp, the hammer of thor on deer!

The absolute best killing 25 bullet I have ever used is:

1. 117 RNSP by hornady—not great for long range but has had stellar accuracy—and seems to expand and penetrate and at 200 yards are less will not be a issue in a fast stepping 25 like your '06. I have used this bullet for about 30 years and it works! I also have used the 115 grain Berger extensively and had excellent results when time is taken to make sure all tips are open.

2. Next is a Speer 100 grain..simple little bullet just works—again I have used it a bunch just because it was cost effective and I was able to get it back in the dark ages when you actually had to go into a shop and buy something.

3. This last choice is one I'd be careful—I live in Texas and most of our deer are not huge. But I have shot exactly 2 Aoudad rams and a Axis with this combo and it works—countless coyotes and vermin.. 85 grain nosler BT.

I do have some that I'm liking I have used a 80 grain CEB raptor—and it has been wicked and I do have a box of 90 grain hammers that look really good—just have not worked up a recipe. Mode you all my guns are 1-10. Most of my experience is in western Texas on Exotic (axis, Aoudad) and whitetail and hogs. I have used mostly a 257 weatherby but have used a 25-06 a good bit too

Last edited:
The absolute best killing 25 bullet I have ever used is:

1. 117 RNSP by hornady—not great for long range but has had stellar accuracy—and seems to expand and penetrate and at 200 yards are less will not be a issue in a fast stepping 25 like your '06. I have used this bullet for about 30 years and it works! I also have used the 115 grain Berger extensively and had excellent results when time is taken to make sure all tips are open.

2. Next is a Speer 100 grain..simple little bullet just works—again I have used it a bunch just because it was cost effective and I was able to get it back in the dark ages when you actually had to go into a shop and buy something.

3. This last choice is one I'd be careful—I live in Texas and most of our deer are not huge. But I have shot exactly 2 Aoudad rams and a Axis with this combo and it works—countless coyotes and vermin.. 85 grain nosler BT.

I do have some that I'm liking I have used a 80 grain CEB raptor—and it has been wicked and I do have a box of 90 grain hammers that look really good—just have not worked up a recipe. Mode you all my guns are 1-10. Most of my experience is in western Texas on Exotic (axis, Aoudad) and whitetail and hogs. I have used mostly a 257 weatherby but have used a 25-06 a good bit too
Those raptors are great. I ran those till hammers. They operate very similar with the edge going to hammers. I have the 90gr absolute for my 28" bee just need to get the load done

Last edited:
What's a "range tot" ?
I've had no issues using a couple different 25 cal on everything from vermin to elk.

My absolute favorite has been the one Joyce Hornady had them develop for his 257 Weatherby. (120gr. HP) Too bad they've quit it. I bought them over everything else.

I've tried quite a few, most work pretty well. Monos were not impressive to me. It isn't hard to pick a good performer in this caliber.

Dang phone edit to raptor.
You should really try the hammers or cutting edge in the .257. Amazing how good they are.
I used to run 115bt. Good luck with them but boy at that speed they would do some wacky stuff. I'm using a 28" barrel which I can get great speed from.

For my 250 savage and 257 Roberts I've been shooting 87gr speer hot cors. Speer bullets, especially the hot cors are very underrated! They are super accurate plus more then half the price of premium bullets. I'm shooting deer not elephants.

What ever Partition shoots best in your gun. The 117 Hornady BTSP is a great 257 bullet. If you want others I just recommend a quality hunting bullet not a target or re-labeled target now called a hunting bullet on the box.

This last year in custom 26", 9T X caliber barrels, 257 Weatherby with a .030 freebore chamber, the 110g Nosler accubond and the e115g Berger VLD hunting at 3600 did an amazing job on white tails, ranges to 430 yards....hogs also.