257 weatherby

buy 2-3 boxes of 100 grain scirocco's and you will kill animals for years! I've not found one of my 257's the facotry rounds are not accurate in and I have somewhere in the high teen's of mark v and ruger 1 rifles chambered in this round.

Eld-x are incredibly accurate (speaking factory ammo) I've had two come apart at close range with our little central Texas whitetail. Longer ranges they work to perfection, so i switched. Had similar results with an accubond at close range, but at longer ranges lights out. I've never had a scirocco come apart and I shoot through both shoulders. Just my 2cents and experience, 257 is the perfect medium game round and my favorite around here! Between myself, kids and wife which all hunt with 257's pretty regularly and other 25's we shoot alot of sciroccos, barnes and partitions. Everyone has their flavor, i'm a swift guy;

Do yourself a favor and stay away from match bullets designed for target. Yes I've killed animals with them too but your asking for a complete fail when it's clear what the bullets intent was for and that wasn't hunting. Too many better hunting bullet options to do that IMO.

I hunted with Hornady SST's almost exclusively while in Europe and shot over 20 animals with them from 30ft to 350yards: most dropped at the shot. The bullets I did recover had a great classic mushroom and a pretty large exit hole. For reference, the animals were wild boar, Red Stag, Fallow and Roe Deer.
I shot a nice muley buck last year at 50 yards with an ELDx out of my 6.5 PRC (hit right in the boiler room) and it turned around, and took several steps before going down. The bullet went through the off side and broke a couple of ribs in the process, but the exit hole wasn't much bigger than the entrance.

buy 2-3 boxes of 100 grain scirocco's and you will kill animals for years! I've not found one of my 257's the facotry rounds are not accurate in and I have somewhere in the high teen's of mark v and ruger 1 rifles chambered in this round.

Eld-x are incredibly accurate (speaking factory ammo) I've had two come apart at close range with our little central Texas whitetail. Longer ranges they work to perfection, so i switched. Had similar results with an accubond at close range, but at longer ranges lights out. I've never had a scirocco come apart and I shoot through both shoulders. Just my 2cents and experience, 257 is the perfect medium game round and my favorite around here! Between myself, kids and wife which all hunt with 257's pretty regularly and other 25's we shoot alot of sciroccos, barnes and partitions. Everyone has their flavor, i'm a swift guy;

Do yourself a favor and stay away from match bullets designed for target. Yes I've killed animals with them too but your asking for a complete fail when it's clear what the bullets intent was for and that wasn't hunting. Too many better hunting bullet options to do that IMO.
That one thing Iwill not do is to hunt with match bullet. Fir the sirrico, got a friend that shoot those in 30 06 and they are perfec on white tail

I hunted with Hornady SST's almost exclusively while in Europe and shot over 20 animals with them from 30ft to 350yards: most dropped at the shot. The bullets I did recover had a great classic mushroom and a pretty large exit hole. For reference, the animals were wild boar, Red Stag, Fallow and Roe Deer.
I shot a nice muley buck last year at 50 yards with an ELDx out of my 6.5 PRC (hit right in the boiler room) and it turned around, and took several steps before going down. The bullet went through the off side and broke a couple of ribs in the process, but the exit hole wasn't much bigger than the entrance.
Had shot one doe with factory 178gr eld-x in 308. Frontal shot at 200yds, deer run about 15yrds and the exit wound was about 2inch wide. Easy to find but not as much damage in the vital as my speer have done with exact same shot.

Had shot one doe with factory 178gr eld-x in 308. Frontal shot at 200yds, deer run about 15yrds and the exit wound was about 2inch wide. Easy to find but not as much damage in the vital as my speer have done with exact same shot.
My experience as well with the eldx: seem to open really nice at ranges over 200yards, at least for me, but tend to punch right through at shorter distances. I was also shooting the 308 for all my European hunts, and because I couldn't reload (have to have a special license for that) I was using Hornady Superformance 165gr SST because you never knew what you'd have the opportunity to shoot.

I believe with rounds that do not push extreme velocity's like weatherby mags (and others of course) there are a slew of great hunting bullets even right up to the ole faithful coreloct, lol

SST and my personal fav Nosler Ballistic tip are great and use them in grendels, 6.8's, 308 and creedmoors we have allot of fun with on pigs and whitetail!

I've just found you want a premium bullet when shooting my weatherby calibers and I shoot 240's all the way up to 300's all points in between.

That one thing Iwill not do is to hunt with match bullet.
Some bullets are marketed as target bullets, but a few of us have real-world success harvesting games from antelope to elk size game from close range to 1000+ yards. I have used match/target bullets (mostly Berger and Hornady) for over 2 decades with great success. That's the beauty when we have plenty of choices and push the envelope to suit our personal preferences and intended purpose. An LRH member has accounted for over 100 wild games using target/match bullets while managing a ranch. That is one heck of a statistical and longitudinal success. If you want to hear it directly from him, send me a PM, and I will gladly connect you with him. Cheers!

I think we would all agree on shot placement is key, bullet performance (ie: expansion) is another key point. I don't disagree with anything stated above regarding kills with match bullets. But comparing someone who's spent years in the industry vs an average joe (which most of us are) is apples and oranges. I'm not sure what everyone's limitations are nor is that job too each is own.

I can show you two guys in the south and southwest texas region who make a good living with tracking dogs and they both will ask you when you call them was it a bow or a 6.5? The knock on a 6.5 is the people either do not know their or the bullets limitations (just picked up ammo at bass pro or academy) and that it does not allow for bad shot placement and sometimes with goods shot placement. One of these guys makes enough annually to pay cash for a pickup! LOL so again we all have scenarios to defend each side, know your limitations and allow for error as most of us are not perfect and we do get excited/rush whatever bad shots happen we spend allot of money on the sport hedge your bets is my view especially if i'm paying money for a hunt.

I think we would all agree on shot placement is key, bullet performance (ie: expansion) is another key point. I don't disagree with anything stated above regarding kills with match bullets. But comparing someone who's spent years in the industry vs an average joe (which most of us are) is apples and oranges. I'm not sure what everyone's limitations are nor is that job too each is own.

I can show you two guys in the south and southwest texas region who make a good living with tracking dogs and they both will ask you when you call them was it a bow or a 6.5? The knock on a 6.5 is the people either do not know their or the bullets limitations (just picked up ammo at bass pro or academy) and that it does not allow for bad shot placement and sometimes with goods shot placement. One of these guys makes enough annually to pay cash for a pickup! LOL so again we all have scenarios to defend each side, know your limitations and allow for error as most of us are not perfect and we do get excited/rush whatever bad shots happen we spend allot of money on the sport hedge your bets is my view especially if i'm paying money for a hunt.
I know what your talking about, me and some friend share info each hunting season about how bullet ad work vs angle, shoot distance, caliber, game size... That part why I dont like mono.. never had someone around that had great luck with those around me.

I know that my 7mm mag and 338win give more room for bad shot but I never count on that for hunting. If the load dont do 1 moa at 300yrds the rifle dont go hunting period!

Have seen to much horror stuff in the wood or when I was à range officier. Mix weight and tipe of ammo in the same box... same guy, same bear hunt hé came with a cross bow he just change the limb.. did not try it out and we were over 300km from the first store.. guy was a "great guide'

I shoot F-class, Have over 700 shot this year and my limite is 300yrds at hunting because I dont what to risk wounding a game even if on target I can hit deer size up to 600yds. Wind can put you out of deer vital fast.

Hi everyone,

Got a chance to buy a 257 weatherby and have some question.

Sins im not a fan of mono bullet I wonder how the speer btsp, eld-x or eld-m class of bullet will do at range under 100 yrds?

I do look for 200yds shoot or more but if the deer step out at 50yrds dont what to loose Ă  deer to lack of penetration.

Have expérience with the speer and eld-x in 308 win and 7mm mag with dead deer everytime but their not as fast as the 257 weatherby.
Have used a 257 Bee a lot over the years for deer and antelope. The 117 grain Hornady Interlocks have always done the job perfectly from 60 yards to 800. Only cup and core bullet I have ever shot game with using the 257 Bee. The 101 grain Barnes LRX Boat Tails work great too.

I know what your talking about, me and some friend share info each hunting season about how bullet ad work vs angle, shoot distance, caliber, game size... That part why I dont like mono.. never had someone around that had great luck with those around me.

I know that my 7mm mag and 338win give more room for bad shot but I never count on that for hunting. If the load dont do 1 moa at 300yrds the rifle dont go hunting period!

Have seen to much horror stuff in the wood or when I was à range officier. Mix weight and tipe of ammo in the same box... same guy, same bear hunt hé came with a cross bow he just change the limb.. did not try it out and we were over 300km from the first store.. guy was a "great guide'

I shoot F-class, Have over 700 shot this year and my limite is 300yrds at hunting because I dont what to risk wounding a game even if on target I can hit deer size up to 600yds. Wind can put you out of deer vital fast.
I cannot make it any simpler than #2 and #25.