Why you need to Understand Vista Outdoors and What They Own

Here is one example off the top of my head. In another chart I posted a couple months ago had all metals but I can't find it right now. Tin tripled in price.
Show me any metal commodity or any chemical used in primers that the raw material is up even 50% much less 200%?
Screenshot_20220824-205339_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I have zero complaints about primer price because I bought enough in the last decade to last me a lifetime and a half and keep my posterity going however I'd like to know where you're getting them for under $80 as my best friendly shop can't sell white box CCI for less than 96 per thousand
Another $40 per thousand meant an additional $40 per thousand. I paid $139/1,000 for 5 bricks of Fed 210M a few months ago. $40 more than they were a year ago.
But the good news for me is, now I don't spend any time searching for lower priced primers. I'm done searching for a couple years...

Oh, there is definitely some jumping on or piling on by the end distributor,
especially at Brownells lately. If you will note, Powder Valley and Precision Reloading and a few other retailers usually have more reasonable pricing on primers than Brownells, Midway, and lately even Natchez has gone rogue.

You can find BR2's for $139 a few places but $170 at others.
You will see CCI #34s for $99 in some places and $139 in others.

That's a sure indicator that there is certainly some piling on at the retailer level. But then, we don't know if all retailers get the same deal from CCI either do we? All I know is $170 primers plus hazmat and shipping is not sustainable, good or anything. Its just wrong. Something is rotten.

I usually have to depend on Powder Valley to get a more fair deal.
That means waiting many times.

So, yes, Vista has some company, but even if their whole sale price is still $100 or $125, things are still out of whack.
No way wholesale pricing is $100and we are only paying $125 to $175-- you gotta remember that each step in the distribution chain will often times add 100-200% markup to cover costs and then also make $$. You are blaming a corporation/manufacturer for the huge price hike when you have no proof- just speculation

How much General Dynamics productiion (great suction on raw materials) was included in the latest $2 B sent to Ukraine? Also, the shelves are sagging with loaded ammo for shooting deers in a few months. Priorities rule. Demand up - prices up.

I would like to think that if US v China came to happen over Taiwan JoBi would tell China they would forfeit all rights and title to their holdings in the US. Then "hopefully" that would be deterrent enough to put a war on the back burner.
Wouldn't we all like to think that! That S.O.B would sell us all down the river in a New York minute, Im with the other guy I'm going to go back to reading Romans.These sort of conversations are really depressing.
I hope those boys in Texas get their primer plant fired up and going soon.

A bit off topic but can primers be made obsolete by using some type electronic ignition? My range finder batteries last all year. So why not move on to a different ignition source and remove that component variable?

A bit off topic but can primers be made obsolete by using some type electronic ignition? My range finder batteries last all year. So why not move on to a different ignition source and remove that component variable?
Yes' but you think regular primers and triggers are expensive?
There have been rifles in the past -- iirc , some states won't allow electric ignition for hunting. And you gotta be careful about atf definitions of "trigger pull" as some electronic ignition systems can easily be modified to create "multiple rounds fired" with 1 trigger pull--- so some of those electronic triggers are considered machine guns by the atf

Last edited:
, but in re-assessing that market, there never was 50 and 100% inflation caused by material shortage, supply chain, or energy or wage inflation. That leap from $40 to the $125 to $170 range on primers is probably a lot of it "structural" due to market consolidation and pricing power wielded by Vista Outdoors owning
Federal, CCI, and Remington primers.
I mentioned this vary thing about a year ago when people on here were saying its the " new normal" for prices and caught alot of B.S over it.
The only " new normal" is Vista literally owns about everything in the component market and if you dont think there is manipulation in the market your a fool.
Have you noticed the stuff Vista owns is in Short supply you think that is just an a coincidence. People convince themselves of the excuses to pay the prices.
FEAR is a powerful tool.
Flame on!!
If you were a business owner and can get people to buy your product at a higher profit margin and produce less or produce more to make the same profit margin what would you do.
Its a no brainer
You save on equipment and man power, Vista has been playing shooters like a fiddle.

Last edited:
I didn't bother reading all of the posts and it may have already been stated.

They recently purchased Simms. Totally out of their realm.

If you think they are trying to dominate the industry check out GSM Outdoors.

They are now getting into the tackle business, we represent their tackle lines in the Southeast. They only have 4 at the present time, two of them are large and they are actively looking for more companies to add to their umbrella.

If you think they are trying to dominate the industry check out GSM Outdoors.

They are now getting into the tackle business, we represent their tackle lines in the Southeast. They only have 4 at the present time, two of them are large and they are actively looking for more companies to add to their umbrella.
They have a plan and im betting its not good for the consumer.

Vista selling CCI to another entity is not going to reduce/hurt supply. An antitrust challenge won't close operations, it will force a divestiture. Result: Vista gets a massive injection of cash for the sale of CCI and America gets more balanced competition in the primer space.
There is a reason Vista was able to aquire CCI, Remington etc. just because you take CCI out from under the Vista Management doesn't mean it continues to exist, or even remotely to the same current capacity.

Vista been very smart on capitalizing on synergies and leverage profit in other areas to expand other companies. They have also been key and turning around several businesses.

There are a lot of clothing mfg'ers (large cap) that are only expecting to be able to ship 60% or less of their BOOKED orders from last year. They simply arent receiving orders or parts for orders from overseas.

Welcome to world wide supply chain and EPA and Union restricted domestic production.

If any one is scared of a trust issue then by all means start up your own company or go make Vista an offer they can't say no too.