Why not just shoot elk with birdshot? It works in NC if you are a poacher!

CRNA

I couldn't believe the story when I read it in the news.

It seems that a poacher or possibly someone "wanting to scare the elk off their property" have shot and killed a bull and cow elk in western NC.
First of all, I am amazed that birdshot could have killed an elk of nearly any size.

Second, it really ****es me off when people do stuff like this. North Carolina has in recent years re-introduced elk into the western part of the state. I have been to see them a couple of times last year in areas where they inhabit and breed. From talking to some of the volunteers who work with the elk it seems that they are thriving and are making a good come back.

I just found it ironic that I purchased a 7mmRM that I am using for my long range gun, and hopefully one day will make it out west to hunt elk with. Some of the posts that I have read on this site seem to say that it takes a gun with more punch than my 7mm to kill elk. Here some a**hole has successfully killed two with a scatter gun!!

Here is the brief news link to any interested:
WLOS ABC 13 News :: Top Stories - Two Elk Killed

I know of someone who killed a whitetail doe with birdshot while out pheasant hunting so I suspect it's not impossible to kill an elk in the same way.

Still, it's too bad it happened.

The paper here years ago had a story of an old gentleman that killed a bison. No disagreement between parties that he shot the old bull, only about intent as he fired birdshot to get it to leave his property. USFWS didn't have any guitar makers to raid back then I suppose. My recollection is #8 was reported. I'm pretty sure that's what I read as I've always thought an autopsy should be done to rule out the critter didn't have a heart attack. Never heard the disposition of the case.

CRNA , I am sure there is more to the story...dang media always screws something up when it comes to hunting and killing!

Regardless, that burns me up as well, just plain stupid!

Good luck with your future elk hunt, I am sure that 7mm will serve you well.

I know elk can be killed with less but as the argument goes, do you really want to have the once in a lifetime trophy step out and be under gunned?

As I am sure you do for your job ( assuming your a CRNA )you have all the bases covered and then some...well, elk hunting is the same way in my book. :)

CRNA , I am sure there is more to the story...dang media always screws something up when it comes to hunting and killing!

Regardless, that burns me up as well, just plain stupid!

Good luck with your future elk hunt, I am sure that 7mm will serve you well.

I know elk can be killed with less but as the argument goes, do you really want to have the once in a lifetime trophy step out and be under gunned?

As I am sure you do for your job ( assuming your a CRNA )you have all the bases covered and then some...well, elk hunting is the same way in my book. :)

I agree with you. I have seen elk taken on other long range hunting sites and it is impressive as to how they are put down, but I would definitely want to make sure that I had enough to get the job adequately done. Like you said, I wouldn't want the bull of a lifetime to just be crippled and not found.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.