Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Many of those were culling operations where many were shot per day.i did not mount all of them so I do not have them all mounted. On some culls you can shoot 100 animals in a night. That is a span of fifty years. Yes I have some trophies but not 1000 right at 150. Whether you believe me or not I will smoke a big elk hopefully in sep and at a last resort i will shoot him somewhere other than the shoulder. Again the point is I would never be afraid of the shoulder shot on any animal. I will concede elk are to me one of the toughest animals for its size and they deserve their reputation but put one in the shoulder with a good bullet and they die.

Many of those were culling operations where many were shot per day.i did not mount all of them so I do not have them all mounted. On some culls you can shoot 100 animals in a night. That is a span of fifty years. Yes I have some trophies but not 1000 right at 150. Whether you believe me or not I will smoke a big elk hopefully in sep and at a last resort i will shoot him somewhere other than the shoulder. Again the point is I would never be afraid of the shoulder shot on any animal. I will concede elk are to me one of the toughest animals for its size and they deserve their reputation but put one in the shoulder with a good bullet and they die.

Pictures or your a liar!

Not that hard on springbuck cull in south Africa and kangaroo ,donkeys,camels in Australia . On those meat culls shooters don't even go to the animals another truck is the pick up vehicle. Of those the Roos is what you can shoot the most.
300 ultra is a class act why are you telling me anything do you even know what a shoulder shot is? Have you ever done it? Name some species that you have shot
In the shoulder, and died and the bullet bounced off.What a joke!

Not that hard on springbuck cull in south Africa and kangaroo ,donkeys,camels in Australia . On those meat culls shooters don't even go to the animals another truck is the pick up vehicle. Of those the Roos is what you can shoot the most.
300 ultra is a class act why are you telling me anything do you even know what a shoulder shot is? Have you ever done it? Name some species that you have shot

Totally buy that you can kill that many animal, there are some areas that you can rack up some numbers.

I've shot several elk at the point of the shoulder with a 168 Barnes smoking out of a 300 WBY and not have the bullet penetrate into the chest cavity, plain and simple facts. I've cut somewhere around 2000 elk and the number of non lethal shoulder shot I've seen is high. I watched a buddy whack a cow elk at the point of the shoulder at 75 yards with a 180 Accubond from a 300 WSM and she made it to 600 yards before I killed her, when cutting her that Accubond did not make it into the chest yet a 140 Berger behind the shoulder cleaned her clock, it would have been done and won first shot if he'd stuck it behind her shoulder. Not hard math to put together!

I've cut somewhere around 2000 elk and the number of non lethal shoulder shot I've seen is high.

2000 is more than 1000. :) Plus you did the autopsy on the 2000. :D

We ought to also point out that this is a long range hunting forum, and long range hunters don't usually use the same bullets used on Cape Buffalo.

Give him a break. He just does whatever his daddy TIKKAMIKE tells him to do. If I remember correctly, he has killed thousands of animals though. Something about hummingbird culling if I remember correctly.

I think I said I believe it has happen to other people just not me. I am not in any way calling you a liar I know things happen with bullets. I am confident on shoulder shots and when I have a failure I will say so , it just has not happened yet. Buffalo are shot at shorter range than most folks shoot on this forum but other animals are shot at distance. I can not say that I have much to offer on bergers as I have shot very few animals with them. I have had two deer go down and run off, I will say it could have been shooter error but who knows. I am going to give them a few more tries and see.
I can try them on feral hogs as we have a problem with them here and they can be tough sometimes .

I've shot several elk at the point of the shoulder with a 168 Barnes smoking out of a 300 WBY and not have the bullet penetrate into the chest cavity, plain and simple facts. I've cut somewhere around 2000 elk and the number of non lethal shoulder shot I've seen is high.

Whats the upper end bullet that you've seen fail this shot. For what its worth, I've also seen the 180 partition 300 magnum fail this test on moose and elk.

image.jpg

Here's one I shot in the shoulder with a ballistic tip

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.