Hammer + Elk Shoulder

jakeSCH

Took the shot, quartering to. I had the cross hairs on the shoulder and kept telling myself move them further back but squeezed the trigger before I did.

I ideally do not break bone because that causes meat loss, but somehow this elk still traveled 58 yards. Definitely hammer 1, shoulder 0.

338 RUM, 260 gr HH @ 3065 (~2850 impact velocity)

97612DF2-5E88-44F1-B9E7-9E11EECED458.jpeg
400B372E-2090-4AF2-BCB8-12B1B439E5B1.jpeg
ED5538D5-55B8-495E-B464-683E064D3C92.jpeg

Took the shot, quartering to. I had the cross hairs on the shoulder and kept telling myself move them further back but squeezed the trigger before I did.

I ideally do not break bone because that causes meat loss, but somehow this elk still traveled 58 yards. Definitely hammer 1, shoulder 0.

338 RUM, 260 gr HH @ 3065 (~2850 impact velocity)
Absolutely no challenge for that combo, congrats on the elk!

how far was the shot?

Good eats by the way

Extremely close, I got set up on my pack getting ready for a 500 yard shot when I noticed her peaking out behind a juniper at 150 yards...decided to move over quickly and take the lay up.

Half of her body was still obstructed by the juniper, but I still should have shot 6" further back. Either way it worked.

Congratulations on the elk. It is good you got the cow but sad you might have lost a small amount of great roast or burger.
I did the same with a .375JDJ pistol using a 225grn Hornady SP from my pistol at approx. 80 yards. I did hit behind the shoulder on the entry but the angle took the 225grn SP through the off side shoulder and messed up some meat. I was happy anyway.
Nice rifle, almost a perfect blend with the sage on the stock. Is the barrel dipped or coated? Looks camo also.
Mike

Congratulations on the elk. It is good you got the cow but sad you might have lost a small amount of great roast or burger.
I did the same with a .375JDJ pistol using a 225grn Hornady SP from my pistol at approx. 80 yards. I did hit behind the shoulder on the entry but the angle took the 225grn SP through the off side shoulder and messed up some meat. I was happy anyway.
Nice rifle, almost a perfect blend with the sage on the stock. Is the barrel dipped or coated? Looks camo also.
Mike

It's a carbon six barrel, just the lighting. About 30 minutes before sunset. Yeah definitely a bummer to lose some roast, but I was still able to recover most of it...probably only lost 3 to 5 lbs...