I don't understand

I really do appreciate the help. I'm not trying to start an argument just understand, hope it comes across that way.

Where do we find the real BC's rather then what the manufacturer advertises? Is there an independent testing facility we can get those numbers from? As I work up loads I'll like to be using the correct data.

Thanks again.

Craig O.

Here the info and reading on the ALR BC. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/

Is there a reason to not step up to heavier bullets? Twist rate would be a good reason, I am just curious. It is interesting that the published BC has been tested to a different level. Hope you are having fun with this new project.

Greg

None what so ever. Anybody who wants to learn should read Duncan MacPherson, he is a true rocket scientist that can put ballistics into layman's terms so all can understand the fallacies we have been led to believe. Also Dr. Martin Fackler if you want a scientific read, he is one of the top experts on wound ballistics.

I won't post anymore to prevent any arguments.

Thanks guys that input helps a lot. I think I 'll try the 150 gr Accubond LR that will give me a higher BC and more SD then the 140 gr 6.5 with at least the same MV. So if they shoot well for me I should be good to go.

Craig O.
If you intend to shoot elk beyond 400yds you really need to step up to at least a 160gr bullet and heavier higher BC bullets would be an even better idea.

Elk are not bullet proof mythical creatures but they are tough to kill and shot placement is key. You need a High BC bullet to ensure the necessary accuracy at long range or bullet placement becomes a crap shoot.

Is there a reason to not step up to heavier bullets? Twist rate would be a good reason, I am just curious. It is interesting that the published BC has been tested to a different level. Hope you are having fun with this new project.

Greg

The twist rate is 1 in 9 so heaver isn't a problem from that stand point. While I hate to wound an animal I also hate to waste meat. I've seen what a 170 (ish) gr 7mm bullet does when it hits the far side shoulder blade of an Elk. I guess 3 quarters is better then none but if a hammer will do why swing a maul? On the other hand banging on something with a hammer all day when a maul is available isn't smart either. Just trying to find the best tool to use.

Once I get the barrel back (tomorrow) and get the new stock finished I'll get out and start gathering data on different loads. I'm not married to Nosler either but have had great success with their bullets.

Thanks

Craig O.

P.S. how's my math partner doing?

Well considering my neighbor shoots 120 gr ballistic tips out of his 7 STW at 3700 fps and has around 15 bulls notched with that combo out to 802 yards, I would say that a 140-150 out of your 7 rm will handle elk out to 3-400 no problem. Pick the one you like and the one your barrel likes and start stacking elk up like cordwood. It will be fun.

Your math partner is doing great, he gets a little high centered on other subjects but he is running wild like all early teen boys should.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.