Your Favorite Elk Cartridge and Why?

Montana , shoulder season first year in MT

Not exactly, most all the ranchers here in this valley are not wanting the shoulder season , and will not participate. But we do participate in management hunts with hunters off the sign up roster. Only 12 more day of elk season left. :) It has been a long grueling season. I stopped counting when I gutted #50

Jeff

Thats interesting Broz.Because here in or local paper it is referred to that way and a test.And how successful they believe it is. I was going to try but the 2 guys taking calls were fielding over 600 per day I couldnt get in touch

Thats interesting Broz.Because here in or local paper it is referred to that way and a test.And how successful they believe it is. I was going to try but the 2 guys taking calls were fielding over 600 per day I couldnt get in touch

There ya go. The reason we oppose it. I can not speak for all areas, but I can and will for the 15 to 20 ranches in this area that have banded together in opposition to any shoulder season. If you research and dig you will find on FWP's own site back in , I think 2006, where they said " the shoulder seasons have never been a successful tool for reduction of elk herds and have always failed" So at the last commission meeting we asked, " then why are you proposing all the se shoulder hunts for the next 4 years" The answer from the committee, " Good question". The management hunts I believe are better for both hunters and property owners. It is controlled. You get 7 days to get your elk in the management zones, there are only a few hunters at a time, and the success rate is near 100%. In fact, if you count the hunters that take two elk, and many do, the success rate is well over 100%. The shoulder seasons have the potential to draw 100's or maybe even 1000's of hunters to that area. The result in some areas is a lot of road hunting and chasing elk with trucks. I have talked to property owners in some of these shoulder season areas lately. The stories of a hunter taking 18 shots from the road into a herd, hunters chasing the herds back and forth with snow machines while others shoot , and so on are alive and well. What we have found is the management hunts are just a better deal for all. We, and participants in a management hunt, only have to field a few phone calls a day. The roads are not turned into Daytona for the NASCAR elk hunting like they have been in the past during regular season, and our fences get to live a little longer. Don't believe all the propaganda you might read. Get a wider sample of opinions than just what they hand pic for you to read.

My apologies to the op for the derail of this thread. I have to run, its getting light and I have a management hunter coming up today and I want to get him on the elk. We will be using a 300 win with a 215 Berger or the 338 Terminator with a 300 Berger today. If we can get on them my expectations are high. But after 5+ months of elk hunting as you would imagine they are pretty spooky.

Jeff

I actually appreciate the explanation of the negative effects of the shoulder hunts. The way they are doing it now sounds like a much lower impact to the herds.

Update: I'm done with the 35 Whelen AI, going to the 358 Norma mag. I found out my "favorite" loads with the Whelen are running "70K to 72K:!! No wonder I was getting spectacular kills with this thing! Bummer! ha I just thought my rifle had a "fast barrel", the long Remington throat and the 1 in 16" twist. Mine handled every bullet I put through it, even the 310 Woodleigh. I love how this thing kills, and shoots, but I can't gamble with it. You gotta watch those Ackleys, they "do" cling to the chamber. Have less bolt thrust too. My loads were 'warm" by my "normal" observations ( easy bolt lift, primer pockets still tight) But I am legally blind in my left eye ( a non shooting related eye problem/repair) and am super protective of my good eye, ha. I love this rifle, so my smith will open the bolt fact, install an M16 extractor, rechamber and put a magnum magazine follower in. Its a 22" bbl, but the 358 Norma does fine with a 22". After 21 yrs with these speeds, I can't 'go back" to standard Whelen velocity "now"! ha Besides, I used the old Barnes 185XLC in a 338 WinMag for four years, it was a real killer, so the 180TTSX and 225TSX will do fine for me in this Norma. I'm just thankful my "ignorance was blessed". Love the Ackleys, but 21 yrs is enough of them.

I used to shoot a .358 STA. Got formed brass from... Starline? Powerful rifle, but unnecessary for the elk I hunted with it. I had it built thinking I was moving to AK.

I haven't gone for elk yet, but I'm hoping to some year soon. I've developed 7RM loads with Barnes 140 TTSX & 145 LRX leaving around 3250 that hold .5 MOA. I'm hoping that is enough for elk within 400 or 500 yards.

I decided to rebarrel to a 24" Shilen, 1 in 14" twist CM in the 358 Norma. Just a tad more weight up front, better twist and all. Most likely will stick with 180 to 225 TTSX's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.