Favorite elk rifle

laker, Below is an answer I gave previously! Not just my elk rifle....my "only" hunting rifle! memtb

Remmy700 , I failed to give the rifle description! Winchester Model 70, 24" Douglas Match grade SS barrel (lightest recommended contour) "NO" muzzle brake, McMillan stock, Pachmyar Decelerator pad, 2 leaf folding rear sight, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS mounted in Leupold QD base/rings, chambered in .375 AI. Ready to hunt..... scoped, fully loaded, and slung, 9 pounds 1 ounce! Sub moa @ 300 yards from my backyard bench! Best 3 shot group @ 300...just under an inch! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel
"Available space.....is wasted case"!
grin.gif
memtb
Yes in deed

Hope this doesn't sound like to much of a noob question....but ill ask anyways....thoughts and or suggestions on a 338 lapua for all around big game....have my first elk hunt next year and want to get an all around great long distance rifle with big game power

Hope this doesn't sound like to much of a noob question....but ill ask anyways....thoughts and or suggestions on a 338 lapua for all around big game....have my first elk hunt next year and want to get an all around great long distance rifle with big game power

Joemvela, while somewhat comparing "apples and oranges".....my wife uses her .338 WM ( 225's @ 2950) for all of her hunting! The "only" negative I can envision with the Lapua is, generally rifles chambered for it are pretty heavy. If weight is "not" an issue.....it should be a great "all around" hunting cartridge! IMO. memtb

Joemvela, while somewhat comparing "apples and oranges".....my wife uses her .338 WM ( 225's @ 2950) for all of her hunting! The "only" negative I can envision with the Lapua is, generally rifles chambered for it are pretty heavy. If weight is "not" an issue.....it should be a great "all around" hunting cartridge! IMO. memtb

A 338 lapua with 225 OR 250 GRAIN monos would be a WONDERFUL ALL AROUND RIFLE!!! ESPECIALLY AT 9LBS TO 10LBS LOADED READY TO HUNT

Thank you...thats what I was thinking....weight shouldn't be a problem...just wanted to grab other opinions before money is thrown down

Wasn't going to enter the fray but , my fav is my .340 Roy, 26 inch Douglas premium barrel, Mark V action shooting 250 gr Nosler Partitions in front of 86 gr of ReLoder 22 @ 3050 fpd. Nuff said. JM

That right there sounds like the baddest rifle on the elk mountain in my opinion... Not much a 250 Partition at that speed won't take great care of.

I use a 210 Swift at 2950 from a plain old 338 Win that works well for me, but the 340 with a 250 is the supreme elk smasher!

Don't know that it's a favorite "elk" rifle, but it's my current favorite rifle. Rem 700 with a PacNor SS barrel cut at 25" with a Vias brake. Chambered in 28 Nosler. It started life as a Rem KS Mtn Rifle chambered in 300 Wthby Mag. I liked everything about the rifle except for the chambering so I kept it as it was other than a new tube. I used Leupold 2pc mounts and rings and put a Leupold 4.5-14x CDS with side focus scope on it. It weighs in at 7lb 13oz as shown. All metal work was done by PacNor and Duracoat was done by myself. I finally drew a Nv Bull tag so the gun and I will embark on our first elk hunt in Oct. But we have a Nv deer hunt with my son a couple weeks before that.
20200830_174538.jpg

Don't know that it's a favorite "elk" rifle, but it's my current favorite rifle. Rem 700 with a PacNor SS barrel cut at 25" with a Vias brake. Chambered in 28 Nosler. It started life as a Rem KS Mtn Rifle chambered in 300 Wthby Mag. I liked everything about the rifle except for the chambering so I kept it as it was other than a new tube. I used Leupold 2pc mounts and rings and put a Leupold 4.5-14x CDS with side focus scope on it. It weighs in at 7lb 13oz as shown. All metal work was done by PacNor and Duracoat was done by myself. I finally drew a Nv Bull tag so the gun and I will embark on our first elk hunt in Oct. But we have a Nv deer hunt with my son a couple weeks before that.View attachment 211659
Beautiful

Perfect

Awesome

Great weight

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.