Favorite elk rifle

R17. another Canuck on the Board turned me on to his load (64gr) and how it worked for him ( from cold to over 80 deg) It is the berries! I am using 73gr/R23 in the WM. Both are lit by a Fed 215 M. I also crimp everything with a LEE FCD. :)

Dt srs A2 proof 338 lapua 26" 1-9.4"twist. Running the 285eldm at 2900 fps. Wearing a nx8 2.5-20 now. Hammered a bull at 500. Was dead before he hit the snow.
6CB832D7-31C4-4CAD-AFCD-89DC0EA1A12F.jpeg

I have shot 9 bull elk with a 6.5x284 with a 120 grain TTX bullet. The gun is a Montana rifle company. I used to use a 340 wby mag. I bought the 6.5 for my kids because it had little recoil - took it to Saskatchewan deer hunting and fell in love with the 6.5 caliber. My friends have questioned using such a light caliber and bullet but every one of my elk did not go more the 10 yards (longest kill was 360 yards). I have found that I am a much better shooter with a lighter recoil gun and can place a bullet much more confidently in the kill zone. The Barnes bullets do a tremendous job. I just upgraded to a 6.5 SAUM - by GA Precision - right-handed action with a left-handed thumbhole by Oregunsmithing

IMG_3044.jpeg

Haven't hunted elk yet but with 1 kid in north central WY and the other moving to central UT soon, I'm hoping some bull is in my near future.

I'm thinking this 19 year old, pristine, pillared and glass bedded 300 WSM Model 70 Featherweight shooting 180 Scirocco II will do the trick quick and clean.

M70.jpg
M70 range.jpg

Last edited:
I just found the rifle a few months ago in a San Antonio gun shop. It had 13" LOP and looks as though it may have had a box of ammo down the tube. I guess it might have been a custom shop order or someone had a Smith shorten it and do the bedding. At any rate it was a deal I couldnt pass. Plus I really like the Mesquite heart butt spacer I made for it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.