Why not factory ammo for lrh?

pretex

Hello all again.

Being a reloader myself, I still cant help thinking whats wrong with factory loaded ammo for lrh.

I have myself and some of my shooting buddys great succes with norma and hornady factory ammo, 0.5" groups 100yd

Why wouldn that be good enough, Just thinking about it.

I do know there are no limits when reloading yourself.

I have myself and some of my shooting buddys great succes with norma and hornady factory ammo, 0.5" groups 100yd

If you can find the bullet you want, in the weight you want, with a BC you can live with, and it shoots lights out in you rifle, then I see no problem with factory ammo.

Most folks just don't seem to have that kind of luck with factory ammo.

Chris

nowadays factory ammo comes with so many different bullets including the " premium
" high bc ones. i shot some groups out of my 300 wm that any handloader would be proud of. . less than 1/4 inch. the last time i went big game hunting i used factory ammo. first time in 25 years.

Cost...plain and simple. I still spend as much, but get to put more than twice the number of rounds down range!

That and some of our rifles aren't chambered in standard cartridges.

I use factory ammo, but it aint cheap, $39. a box. I use Hornady Heavy Magnum and so far I like it. I try to buy a few boxes online every month as I get my paycheck. It used to be $28. a box so I may have to go back to relaoding at some point in time. For now I am shooitng hte hottest stuff I can afford. But then again I dont shoot enough rounds to make reloading worth the effort. Good luck deciding.

At the cost of today's factory ammo, there's no way I could afford to shoot as much as I do now. I've been reloading for over 25 years and I have built up quiet a supply of bullets, powder, primers, reloading gear and knowledge. I can set down at my leisure, or at a minutes notice, and crank out any amount of "custom", accurate rounds for any of my rifles or pistols, no matter what the game.
Reloading is my hobby, shooting a lot is just a by product. My shooting bench is on the back porch and my target back stop is a 100 yards away, so I just step out back to do load development. When I develop a load that meets my scrutiny and criteria's at that distance, I drive across the road to my 600 yard range and try them there. I don't usually settle for 1/2" @ 100 yards, oh, and it has to be fast. JohnnyK.

Hello all again.

Being a reloader myself, I still cant help thinking whats wrong with factory loaded ammo for lrh.

Why wouldn that be good enough, Just thinking about it.

I do know there are no limits when reloading yourself.

There is nothing wrong with factory ammo if it has good long range bullets and performs
in your rifle.

There is definitely better factory ammo out there now as compared to 20 years ago but it is
expensive.

If you only hunt with the rifle then 2 or 3 boxes of factory ammo should last many years and
there is no need to reload. But if you shoot a lot then reloading is cheaper and more satisfying.

If you find a factory load that shoots well @ 100 yards it may not do well at longer distances
because of the cheep bullets in some of there ammo. so look for the stuff that uses premium
bullets. (The same as those you reload with)

J E CUSTOM

I have run into a problems with factory ammo. Ishoot a 7mm rum and was trying the rem scirrocos and could only get a 1 inch group. After checking a lot of things i chrono the rest of the box and there was a 181fps diff.I started reloading and my shots were consistent. May be i got z bad batch when they were on back order not sure. Theres not alot to select from when u own a 7 rum

I will only shoot hand loads. Factory ammo is over $100 for a box of 20 .338 Lapua Mag shells. For a little more money I can load 100 rounds. A no brainer, I would ned to win the lotery to afford to the factory stuff as much as I shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.