which factory .300 wsm bullet to use for LRH?

WizardM

I have a Remington 700 TH-LSS .300 WSM. Currently, I'm using Winchester 150 gr. Supreme Ballistic Silvertip for whitetail and mulie. The last mulie I shot with this bullet was 400 yards away.

Just wondering, which .300 wsm factory load do you use for LRH?

100 - 300 yards:

300 - 600 yards:

600 - 1000 yards:

Do you stick with one type of bullet for all distance? Or do you switch to different ones depend on the distance you are expecting to shoot?

hunting shack ammunition.premium factory loaded ammo .ive tried their 300 wsm loaded 178 gr. a max ammunition on hogs out to 436 yards very accurate in my rifle. they are also loading berger vld ammo that i want to try also .i got som 300 win mag and 308 win on order with them in the berger vld loaded ammunition i will post results on accuracy and knockdown wen i get them. goodluck on your ammo quest.

WizardM, I don't shoot factory - I load. What I do is pick one bullet to hunt big game and one to mess around with for varmint. I came to the conclusion that My rifle likes 180 over the 165 grain (yours may or may not however). I found a load that shoots good and I used the Nosler Accubond which will preform well at all ranges. Not saying the Accubond is the shiznit, but it works for me. I found a 110g vmax that shoots ok for me with varmint hunting.

You would be doing yourself a diservice if you try to switch ammo from one distance to another because your POI will shift from one load to the next. Pick whichever one shoots best in your rifle and stick with it.

I'm just guessing here, but I would start with one box of 150's, one of 165's and one of 180's. See which one of those 3 shoots the best. Then I would start with that bullet weight and a couple different brands of ammo. It gets kinda expensive when you are dealing with $40+ a box. With reloading it gets spendy too. A box of 100 bullets runs anyware from 20 to 50 bucks as well. Powder is 25 or better a pound. So no matter what experimenting is spendy. But it is worth every penny!

wizardM,i use that hsm 178 gr. a-max as far out to 1k for target and inside of 600 or so for hunting . its because i got my ammo for this rifled sort of figured out accurately out to 1k it all matches with my drop on my setup. b.c. velocity matches out with my scope out to 1k wich is the farthest i can go . i wish i knew how to reload but it takes time and trial n error where as i just buy and shoot and buy and shoot and find the best match to my rifle itll take time but youll find the right factory ammo shell like to eat...hope this helps and good shooting.

britz, I wish I know how to hand load, and I agree with you emani1, pick up a factory load is much easier. I know hand load will give you the best of the best, maybe one day I can pick it up at my leisure time. Thanks for all of your comments, I will try to try out different grains and different brand of bullets for my rifle, then stick with it for different ranges. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.