Why no love for the 40S&W?

Man, seems like everywhere I look people are dogging on the 40 now. People are dumping them for 9mms. I have 2 40's and I love them. A glock 23 and 27. I shoot and carry them way more than my 9mms. I know they have a little more pop to them, but man they hit hard, you can tell the difference at the range. Police agencies are even going back to the 9. I have heard it's because a lot of them can't handle the recoil and don't shoot the 40 very well?

I have 2 .40 S&Ws and 2 9MMs and shoot them equally well, so the love is there for both. 😇

Indeed guns are like ladies. Some are worth having and some are not. Those that are not end up requiring shooting a meth head 11 times with a 9mm. (But how could the amazing 9mm 147 HST perform so poorly??? The internet says that's the best thing ever) Ask me how I know.

When my kid finished boot camp in Marines I bought him pistol .He wanted Wather 40.Thats what he got He always qualify expert.last time he only dropped one point.Rifle to.He bagging a 10,000 ft peak one day and saw bear way off on way down ,and thought,bear hunter now.Shot bear and it didnt know he was there and ran straight by him,He said he lightened his mag up :D

The great thing about the 9 is you can control it from any position, with either hand, and the whole mag can go down range very accurately, fast. For the extra slap, flash, noise and weight why not go 10MM over 40 S&W? If I want to deter the animals downtown the 9 is fine. If I feel I may have trouble with the animals in the salmon stream the 40 isn't very reassuring. I am a little bias having only really "used" the 9mm, but I never noticed a case where when properly applied the 9mm did not take the piece off the board.

I have a couple of 40's and love them. I carry them in my vehicles. I have a couple of 9's that I carry on my person when I am riding my motorcycle or going out and want to keep things consealed.
If I had to keep only one it would be a 40. Why have a marginal amount of power when there are so many options out there. I think any one who cant handle the recoil of a 40 needs to practice more.
The military uses 5.56 but when the you know what hits the fan they use the 7.62 to be sure what they are shooting at stops right there.

Indeed guns are like ladies. Some are worth having and some are not. Those that are not end up requiring shooting a meth head 11 times with a 9mm. (But how could the amazing 9mm 147 HST perform so poorly??? The internet says that's the best thing ever) Ask me how I know.
I give up, How do you know?

I dont think of it like people CANT control a 40 or CANT handle the recoil of a 40 vs a 9. I just think it is easier to work a 9mm than a 40. How many of us NEED a muzzle break on a 6.5 creedmoor or 308 or hell on a 5.56 AR. Probably none of us. Im not military or LEO. The chances of me really needing a side arm are fairly slim when looking at the statistics. I dont think 40 vs 9 would be the deciding factor should I ever need to defend myself. Placing shots as accurately as possible and following up as quickly and accurately as possibly makes sense in my mind. This is all for "people" guns though. When Im hunting a hot loaded 357mag is usually with me.

I dont think of it like people CANT control a 40 or CANT handle the recoil of a 40 vs a 9. I just think it is easier to work a 9mm than a 40. How many of us NEED a muzzle break on a 6.5 creedmoor or 308 or hell on a 5.56 AR. Probably none of us. Im not military or LEO. The chances of me really needing a side arm are fairly slim when looking at the statistics. I dont think 40 vs 9 would be the deciding factor should I ever need to defend myself. Placing shots as accurately as possible and following up as quickly and accurately as possibly makes sense in my mind. This is all for "people" guns though. When Im hunting a hot loaded 357mag is usually with me.

The subject was brought up about the FBI, LEO, people with small hands not doing well with the added recoil of a 40 or 10MM. A 40 is a step up in power over a 9. That is why the FBI adopted it to replace the 10MM. It has more bullet weight, bullet diameter with the same or higher velocity than a 9 which equal's more power with out going as far as a 10MM or 45.
But just my opinion is that a 9 even with modern ammo does not match a 40 just as a 40 does not match a 45 or 10MM. A 9MM is a fine round but for me I like the 40 better and my next pistol will be a 10MM. I also load for and shoot my 44 mag getting close to 1500 fps with 240 gr hardcast bullets but there is no way to conceal that one unless you use a suitcase. JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts