Why no love for 6.5 PRC for 1 mile shoots....??

COBigJohn

Starting back about 6 months ago, I started researching a gun and load that would provide some fun, shooting 1 mile..... maybe out to 2,000 yards, on a seriously tight budget. Over and over I read that a .338 bullet was the minimum and it needed a BC over .7 and muzzle velocity close to 2,900 fps. Most authors laughed at anyone trying to do those shots with a 7mm or a 6.5mm.

So I ran the ballistics over and over with ammo off the shelf and hand loads and I was perplexed. I found the 6.5 PRC to be a contender on paper. .... so I bought one. (never mind the issue of finding ammo or even brass)

Look over these numbers below and tell me the 6.5 PRC can't do it... and then tell me why...???

Honestly, I would have gone 7mm Mag, but it takes a 8.5 twist barrel for the 180-190 gr bullets and pretty expensive shooting platform for the 7mm to find its magic... and then you have barrels burning out really, really quickly....

I did a 6.5 PRC with glass for less than $1,500. Savage 110 Tactical, Burris XTR II 5-25x50, 20 MOA Rail.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 5.04.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 3.22.47 PM.png

I met up with guys that shoot long range a couple years ago . the first day I shot with them they had 6.5 PRC's, one guy a 243 , and one guy a creedmore . I showed up with my 338 lapua . they were all explaining to me how the 6.5 was so superior to anything else out to around a mile . well by the end of the month there was another 338 lapua . now the original bunch all have 338 lapua .the one guy still has his 6.5PRC , but doesn't shoot it much . the 6.5 creedmore guy is getting his 338 put together . a couple of the new guys have 300 PRC's . from what I see ,the small guns won't shoot with the big ones , especially in the wind .

my 338, I use a 300 gr Berger E hunting bullet at 2939FPS . in summer weather 57 moa elevation will get me 2000 yards

Starting back about 6 months ago, I started researching a gun and load that would provide some fun, shooting 1 mile..... maybe out to 2,000 yards, on a seriously tight budget. Over and over I read that a .338 bullet was the minimum and it needed a BC over .7 and muzzle velocity close to 2,900 fps. Most authors laughed at anyone trying to do those shots with a 7mm or a 6.5mm.

So I ran the ballistics over and over with ammo off the shelf and hand loads and I was perplexed. I found the 6.5 PRC to be a contender on paper. .... so I bought one. (never mind the issue of finding ammo or even brass)

Look over these numbers below and tell me the 6.5 PRC can't do it... and then tell me why...???

Honestly, I would have gone 7mm Mag, but it takes a 8.5 twist barrel for the 180-190 gr bullets and pretty expensive shooting platform for the 7mm to find its magic... and then you have barrels burning out really, really quickly....

I did a 6.5 PRC with glass for less than $1,500. Savage 110 Tactical, Burris XTR II 5-25x50, 20 MOA Rail.

View attachment 343349

View attachment 343361
Why worry what others think, "IF," you think you can do it with have, go for it.

Anything can look good on paper. Fudge a few figures with velocity and B.C. and it can look real good. 👀
Save some money.... go to a match as an observer.... look at what most guys who compete regularly are using..... there is a reason they are using what they use....
go home evaluate your equipment.
It,s good to try your ideas.
But trying to reinvent the wheel is exspensive,time consuming, and usually if you pursue it you,ll wind up with very similar you witnessed during your observation outing...

We have everything for our 6.5X284 build and just waiting for a trigger (still deciding) on the 338LMAI.
1K is easy for the 6.5X284, but when you start dropping in 338LMAI- 300gr OTMs at 1,700 to 2,500+ and see the vapor trail to the plate you will be EXCITED!

View attachment 343349

View attachment 343361
Yes you can shoot it that far but the low BC compared to the 30's and bigger magnums make it pretty inferior beyond 1,000yds.

Look at the ballistics chart I posted above. It stands against the others at 2,000 yards.
Not very well. Wind drift will flat eat you up at that range and you've only got about 60% of the energy of the next lowest on the chart.

You just can't get a high enough BC 6.5 bullet to really compete against similar heavy for caliber high bc bullets in the larger calibers.

CO BigJohn
You can hit the Mile with you 6.5PRC with a little TLC no problem! Brass-Load-Bullet-Barrel-Optics-SHOOTER!
Seen several 6.5s hit that mark, also saw a 6mm hit 1 mile.
Hopefully we will be going to the "ARENA" in SE Georgia sometime soon and putting our 6.5X284 along with 338LMAI to the test. There are targets out to 2,500 yds.
CAN'T WAIT!!!

Recent Posts