Why McMillan A5?

Engineering101

I found the blurb below on Stocky's website. It is talking about McMillan fiberglass stocks. It sounds a awful lot like marketing hype - especially the "any difference in price" and "lifetime investment" comments. I'm sure McMillans are very good stocks but I can buy a whole brand new rifle for the price of one of these stocks. And compared to other stock options, their prices are crazy. For example, I have a $100 Boyd's laminate I threw some pillars in plus a little bedding. I can't shoot as good as the resulting rifle shoots. Are the McMillans really worth it or is there some folklore and myth going on here?

"One of the reason that these units are so in-demand is because they have the reputation to wring that last little bit of accuracy out of a rifle, especially since the vast majority of accuracy ills are solved with the replacement of lesser quality stocks. Plus, when you feel the balance of a McMillan in your hands; when you see the crisp corners, precision machined inletting, perfectly executed ergonomic form and attention to uniform detail, any difference in price shrinks in relation to the wow-factor. They are literally a lifetime investment. If you haven't taken the plunge, or are just tired of fooling around with bargain-priced stocks, jump confidently in with both feet. I frankly don't think you'll ever want another stock. Long after any "savings" is gone and forgotten, your new McMillan A5 stock will be paying tiny little dividends way out there, on the range or in the field.."

Any concerns about the cost of the stock quickly evaporates, once it is delivered and you are able to handle it. It is on the same par as any high quality custom action, or other high quality custom gun part. The grin factor never evaporates.

My favorite rifles and my most accurate rifles have all worn McMillan stocks. I also have a 6br that is near to me that wears a BC stock. It is in my plan to redo the 6br and upgrade to a McMillan.

I have built many custom rifles, as well as restocked many factory rifles, and used many different stocks. When the budget is available, and we want the very best, McMillan it will be.

That's as true of an answer I can give you.

Jeff

Ergonomics, heft, and solid bedding area. Most aftermarket stocks have an excellent bedding area but McMillian beats them hands down with the overall ergo.

I have rifles shooting 1/4" or less groups wearing HS Precisions....I also have some wearing B&C Medalists. I have no complaints about either brand. Personally I think the McMillans are overpriced, same goes for Manners. Just name-brand hype. Not that they are bad stocks at all, because I'm sure they're excellent, I just can't justify spending nearly $1,000 on a piece of fiberglass.

That's just my opinion.

Any concerns about the cost of the stock quickly evaporates, once it is delivered and you are able to handle it. It is on the same par as any high quality custom action, or other high quality custom gun part. The grin factor never evaporates.

Amen, if you want to be a better shooter...shoot an A5 or any Mcmillan with a meticulously tuned action bedded to one. Long range; A5 all the way, all around big game rifle M40A-1 HTG with adjustable cheek piece. Nuff said.

Reuben

I'm with you on this Mudrunner. A $190 Hart laminate will do anything I need and I doubt putting a different stock on a rifle that is correctly bedded will perform any better.

I found the blurb below on Stocky's website. It is talking about McMillan fiberglass stocks. It sounds a awful lot like marketing hype - especially the "any difference in price" and "lifetime investment" comments.......... Are the McMillans really worth it or is there some folklore and myth going on here?. IMHO, Absolutely yes they are worth it, no folklore.
"One of the reason that these units are so in-demand is because they have the reputation to wring that last little bit of accuracy out of a rifle, especially since the vast majority of accuracy ills are solved with the replacement of lesser quality stocks. Plus, when you feel the balance of a McMillan in your hands; when you see the crisp corners, precision machined inletting, perfectly executed ergonomic form and attention to uniform detail, any difference in price shrinks in relation to the wow-factor. They are literally a lifetime investment. If you haven't taken the plunge, or are just tired of fooling around with bargain-priced stocks, jump confidently in with both feet. I frankly don't think you'll ever want another stock. Long after any "savings" is gone and forgotten, your new McMillan A5 stock will be paying tiny little dividends way out there, on the range or in the field.."

While I'm partial to the A3 over the A5 on my LR rigs, I'd say Stocky's nailed it.

Economically I can't play with McMillans, I'm a B&C or Hart Laminate budget guy but I'm not going to tell you they are the same quality or fit as a McMillan because that's just ignorant of the facts. Cheap stock are just that, open up the channel on a B&C or H&S then go and open up a McMillan, there is no comparing the fill quality!! Drop a McMillan then drop one of the others, don't that and had to repair the other, the Hart took significant work to make it decent!
You can keep going down the list like this but you get the point, just because I can't afford a Nightforce and a McMillan stock does not mean that they aren't worth it and better than what I'm running!!!

Any professionally built rifle, in a properly bedded HS or B&C stock, and torqued to proper specs should shoot just as good as the same rifle in a $1,000 stock. That's like saying you're instantly a better shot because you have a NF or S&B on your gun, compared to someone with a Tasco or a Simmons... If a rifle shoots, and the scope holds zero, it can be just as deadly as something that costs 5x as much.

Now, I am not putting anything down...I'd LOVE to have a fully decked-out custom rifle in a $1,000 stock, with a NF sitting on top, but that's not in the cards. I'd rather get by on decent glass and having more deadly-accurate custom rifles built, than have 1 or 2 really nice rifles. I like caliber diversity, and I like wildcats... And on my income, it doesn't allow me to have a NF sitting atop each one of them. God knows I wish it did... But sometimes we have to play the cards we're dealt. And if my smith can build rifles that shoot sub-1/8 MOA groups on a B&C Medalist or HS stock, then by-god I'll keep saving that extra $750 towards the rest of my build and a nicer scope. His hunting rifles will literally put 5 inside of the SAME hole (I've seen the targets), and he uses HS Precision stocks. And when I say SAME HOLE, I mean, the edges aren't even feathered...They literally are passing through the same exact hole in the target.

Along my shooting tenure I've been fortunate enough to own products most all top stock manufacturers. From H-S to McMillan to Manners & over to the full aluminum chassis systems from AI to McRee (If you really want to talk expensive stocks, woof).

After the dust settled, in my humblest of opinion, the McMillan sits atop the list as my personal, all-time favorite. They all seem to offer advantages in one form or another however; for me, the McMillan offers the greatest balance of fundamental advantages. My A5 feels WAY better than the 2x4 like Manners (2) in my stable. It's warmer to the touch (& lighter) than the chassis' I've owned. The McMillan is of higher overall quality than the H-S I still own & offers better ridgidity & "toughness" than the 3 or 4 laminates I own.

There's a reason they cost, it's because we as hunters, shooters, plinkers & professionals have decided that they are the best & we are willing to pay for it.

t

There's a reason they cost, it's because we as hunters, shooters, plinkers & professionals have decided that they are the best & we are willing to pay for it.

This is true, if the $200 stocks were "as good", then McMillian would be out of business or surely would not be back logged like they have been for years. Even before the current Administration concerns.

If you read through these posts, the ones that have used, bedded, shot at distance and worked with both clearly see the difference. There is obviously something to be gained here. Unless we deny the opinion of those that have used all stocks. They may not be for everyone, but I would keep an open mind for your own benefit. That is, if you want to shoot your best at long ranges.

Jeff

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. For me the options are limited in stocks. I have a Tikka T3 action and I have found 3 manufacturers that build for Tikka action. Of those, McMillan and Manners truly have exactly what I want. Mountain Tactical makes a nice stock, but for the price, I still cannot get one for a #9 Brux contour barrel. I am really looking hard at the A5. This is the only rifle I will probably ever build and I want to get it the way I want the first time. Dont get me wrong, Manners has my ear also. Only time will tell. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts