McMillan A5 or HTG

bebberson

I am building my first custom rifle chambered in a 300WSM. I will use this rifle for hunting big game (carrying it through the woods and up and down hills) and shooting long range from the bench. So which stock would be better for me the A5 or the HTG?

I have used a sendero sf II in the past that weighed about 11.5 lbs

I really like the looks of this stock
gold_bottom.jpg

Last edited:
I own a about half dozen A5s but am leaning more to the HTG, but it is a compromise. I find that I like the A5 better from a prone position because of the verticle grip, but really prefer the HTG from a bench. Since I usually do way more shooting than hunting these days, I am liking the HTG more. The HTG also seems a little easier to carry and I am not trading off much if any shot distance by carrying a gun that is more comfortable.

When you say 'carrying it through the woods and up and down hills" my vote goes heartily to the HTG. BTDT and the wider forend on the A5 becomes more than a handful at the end of the day.

You might want to consider the A3....narrower forend than the A5 but still has the vertical grip and no but hook. This is my 'all round go-to ' stock for what you are describing.

HTG- traditional look and feel
A5- much better on the bench w/ wide forend
A3- Best compromise for field and bench IMHO

YMMV
FWIW

Wes in AZ

You might want to consider the A3....narrower forend than the A5 but still has the vertical grip and no but hook. This is my 'all round go-to ' stock for what you are describing.

Thanks for your input I decided on the ADJ A3-5
a3-5.jpg

Good choice!

Talk with McMillan about using Terry Cross'[KMW] Adj. cheekpiece hardware instead of the one shown.

Terry's is MUCH more bulletproof [ie. nonslip] than McM's standard offerings.

Dick Davis is the one to speak to at McM about it.

Wes in AZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts