question about McMillan A5 stock?

Duff

How do you like the cut out in the bottom of the butt stock? Is that only helpful if you are shooting prone with bi pod? Does it hurt the stocks performance while shooting from the bench with a rear bunny ear bag? (as far as the gun slipping off the flat spot and riding funny on the cut out?) I hope that made sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif A lot of my shooting will be from the bench and I'd had to be fighting that butt hook all the time. Your thoughts? thanks-Duff

...you probably already know this, but McMillan specifically "advertises" that the A5 buttstock will ride the rear bag without any problems...I don't have one, but like the looks of them...but you're wise to wait to hear from someone firsthand before committing... good shooting...

Ric Horst.......

Yes, I have seen the A3, but I think the A5 looks pretty darn slick and was hoping someone that owns one could tell me if the hook buttstock provides any problems riding the bags. I may end up with an A3 type buttstock, but I'd like to try the A5 if it isn't a problem shooting from the bench when using a rear bunny ear bag. thanks-Duff

Re: Ric Horst.......

I have no problem with that feature of my A-5 stock.

Re: Ric Horst.......

I have the A2 and an A5, A5 is far superior. A2 is simply a heavier A3. I would suggest the A5, particularly for prone. The cutout is the slickest idea for controlling the rifle - you have to try it to appreciate what it allows you to do. McMillan put it there for a good reason, plus it rides the bags perfectly.
I believe the A5 is the best stock made for prone hunting, long range shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.