Question for the pros about McMillan Stocks

Strokerace_dave

I just bought a SPS Tactical 223, and the hogue stock on the gun is very flimsy. I am wanting to upgrade eventually to a McMillan stock of some kind, I was wondering can I get a McMillan with an aluminum bedding block or are they so stiff that you don't need one?

If they don't need one do they have to be bedded for optimal accuracy?

The rifle has 1 in 9 twist rifling, I know it will stabilize the 70 grain VLD's, how are they for an all purpose bullet? Varmints and predators?

The mcm comes with no block and needs bedding most smiths use alluminum pillars.

Manners will get you a stock quicker than mcm, and the difference is minimal to none worth considering.

As mentioned, the McMillan stocks need to be bedded and really should be pillar bedded for best results.

You can find some McMillan stocks for sale on line at MidwayUSA. Just checked tonight and they had several in stock ready to ship.

You may also want to look at the HS Precision stocks, they are also instock with many distributors. I personally like the vertical grip stock from HS. Not the best for spot and stalk hunting so their Varmint model may be a better choice.

Manner stocks are also great, just have to order them but they are great stocks.

Thanks guys that is what I was wondering, I knew about the H.S. Precision I was wanting to go with a swirl pattern. But cost might limit me to the HS precision or a B&C Medalist.

How about the Berger VLD 70 Grain bullets will they fit my bill of a pretty good bullet for varmints and paper punching?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts