Question about Rem "700 AS" stock

aroshtr

I am looking to build up a custom remington 700. I have been looking for used guns (magnum bolt face) that have stocks capable of a good pillar bedding job. I have trying to find a laminated stock model like the LS or the LSS. My question is....

I found a Rem 700 "AS". They were built from 1989-1991. The stock is supposed to be an acrylic epoxy fiberglass resin called Arylon. Is anyone familiar with the stock? Is it actually a decent stock to work with? OR, is it just another cheap "plastic" molded stock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

aroshtr, I have a LSS stock that I would get rid of. It is a RH LA and has been opened up for a #7 Lilja taper. It has been pillar bedded. No bottom metal.

No idea on the "as" stock.

Thanks MagMan. I will be using a #5 barrel, so it might be opend up a little too much. However, a lot of clearance never hurt anything but looks.... I have been looking for a complete gun with the lam. stock, just because it seems that used Rem gun prices are about the same no matter which stock is on it. So I might as well look for one with a "free" stock that I can use instead of having to throw the walnut one away.

P.S. MagMan check you PM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.