Question about Rem 700 SA options

pburton

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find any info on. I have a brand new rem 700 SA that I picked up some time ago for a future build. After a lot of deliberation I have decided that I want to build a 7mm SAUM. Here is where the question comes in. This action I have has a standard 308 bolt face. Where can I get a short action bolt with the correct bolt face for this round? I know I can have my smith open the bolt face up, but also looking at my options. Also, I assume that the short mags are built off the same short action? Or do they build a different action for these rounds? I have a standard box mag for this action. I would guess that I would need to get a different one. Any information to make this process a little easier would be greatly appreciated.

PTG sells replacements bolts. A call to a gunsmith about a PTG bolt may be easiest way to go. I think the bolt can be opened up but, I believe the ejector will not be in optimal location. The feed rails may be slightly different. May not be much help but my opinion.

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find any info on. I have a brand new rem 700 SA that I picked up some time ago for a future build. After a lot of deliberation I have decided that I want to build a 7mm SAUM. Here is where the question comes in. This action I have has a standard 308 bolt face. Where can I get a short action bolt with the correct bolt face for this round? I know I can have my smith open the bolt face up, but also looking at my options. Also, I assume that the short mags are built off the same short action? Or do they build a different action for these rounds? I have a standard box mag for this action. I would guess that I would need to get a different one. Any information to make this process a little easier would be greatly appreciated.
Same action, but the feed rails have to be opened up with a milling machine for the wider SAUM cartridges.

PTG (Pacific Tool & Gauge) makes bolts. But it's alot cheaper just to have the gunsmith open the bolt face.

You will need to use a SAUM mag box and follower for it, and (like mentioned above) you will need to have the feed rails on the bottom of the action milled.

Thanks guys. That is the info I was looking for. And what I thought. I will check with PTG. I briefly looked yesterday and did not see that they offered the bolt face that I would need. I will look again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.