Question about stocks need help

Lenwood901

i have a boyds on my gun now its bedded has pillers its shoots awsome but been thinking about the bells and carson since its composite and maybe more stable and less affects of weather what do you guys think

The ability of a laminate stock to be unaffected by moisture or environmental conditions is only as good as the finish that is on it.
A properly finished laminate stock is just as "stable", your word, than any composite stock.

Laminated stocks are still wood, with lots of glue holding the strips of wood together. If moisture can get to the wood, it'll swell/twist. It needs to be properly sealed with a water proof finish, everywhere. The outside, all of the inletting, under the recoil pad, in the sling swivel holes, under the grip cap if it has one, everywhere! A proper installation of the pillars should seal that area.

My opinion is like others in that Laminates properly sealed are impervious to moisture and in many cases stronger than composites

I would recommend that you buy the composite stock you want and do a full pillar bed and see if it is better. Save your laminate because chances are that It will still shoot better and you will want to go back to it. You will only know if you try.

Years ago I started replacing all of my composite stocks because for what ever reason they all, without exception shot better. I now believe that the harmonics are better (More dampened) by the many directions of the wood grain, Solid wood doesn't dampen as good. I ended up replacing 7 stocks and as i said, they all improved some and they were bedded the same way. Just a theory, but there is a difference.

I like the durability of the composites, but I like accuracy of the laminates better.

Don't throw your laminate away until you know for sure. if you do reuse the laminate, be sure and seal it good before you go back with it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.