Why is there a thread for a SPECIFIC cartridge here?

The 6.5mmSTW should run neck and neck with the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby. As for 'why the thread', some will stick with the tried and true while others run to the latest and greatest. The 6.5x284 is another that is kinda' being pushed to the side for newer, more talked about and better marketed cartridges. The 7mmSTW covers a lot of ground, from antelope with 120-140, all makes and models of deer and caribou with a good 140-160 to elk and moose with a 160-175. Why not a separate and specific thread for such a LR cartridge?

LiteHiker: there is a thread dedicated to the 7MM STW? I was unaware of this fact.. that is not my wheel house.. I am a 270 fan.. do not like the 7MM's. so if there is a thread on the 7MM STW I would not have read it nor would I have contributed to it. besides the fact I also know there is a 257 STW that I am all too thrilled about. there is nothing here that would make it hard for me to believe the 7STW had it's own thread. there are many that love the cartridge and they can share all the knowledge each has gathered on that cartridge then pass it around.. that is exactly what this site is for. the sharing of knowledge. I am a life long reloader, long range shooter, hunter, gunsmith. I learn here just about every time I log on. I like this place for that fact. even people as experienced as I am can find something to take away or to discuss that has not been discussed or brought up. I could just as easily find a thread dedicated to one of my fave cartridges like the 270-264 W/M, 338 Lapua, 338 W/M, 25-06, 444 marlin, 17 Rem, 22 Hornet, 270 WSM, 270 Win, 32-40, 33 Win, 35 Win, 25-35, 375 Win. someone here just might like one of the same cartridges I do that has passed into the realm of obscurity and wants to revive it. I would love to see some of the old cartridges brought back from obscurity to main line again.

I don't understand what justifies having specific cartridge thread in this forum, especially one so obscure.
If you're doing this then the 6.5 Creedmoor would certainly deserve its own thread.
Enlighten me.please.
The reason is very simple We were and still are a Brotherhood that conducted themselves in such a manner That Len contacted us and asked if we were interested in our own forum and of course we were, Many of the founding members are still here and still conduct themselves in the same manner, It's really that simple

Well, I'm 77 years old. I've been shooting since I was a kid. Grew up learning from my dad, who learned from his. I've in turn started my daughters and my son. And I don't even have a 7mm STW. So what's the point. I'm learning! That's right - at 77 I'm learning. And I'm increasing my shooting distance from the 150 to 250 yards I started with to 540 for my last one. And I've accomplished this by reading and putting into practice many of the principles I've learned from those shooting calibers I don't have YET. So read what you will, but chose to learn all you can from those you choose to look up to. Thanks to all are contributing to the longer distance marksman that I've got my sights set on. [and occasionally I get to share something that helps someone else].

Last edited:
I think it deserves it own thread for all the above mentioned reasons. I have never been a big 7 fan, preferring the 30s and 338s, but the first time I ever saw anyone shoot over a mile or take an elk at 700+ it was with a 7mm STW. The STW is the granddaddy of them all. It is really one of the cartridges that started it all decades ago. For those of us old enough to know if you were lucky enough to have an STW 25+ years ago you really had something. With the right twist the STW will do nearly everything the 28 Nosler will. Great cartridge!

Last edited: