Why i like my 260 rem so much now that there is no ammo over the 6.5 cm

I reload for all of my rifles, when I buy a new barrel I also buy enough powder primers and projectiles to shoot that barrel out. In primers I buy at least 5000 at a time, the last BR4's were 158.00. I buy bullets in bulk when I find them on sell and powder when I find it in 8 pound jugs. Yes this is expensive but this is my only hobby/addiction and I haven't nor will I have to cut back on my shooting for the foreseeable future. I have a Creedmoor and also a 6.5 SLR which is the best 260 😜. One will do whatever the other does

You're right on. Enough supplies to shoot out a barrel costs less than a decent scope. You never end up shooting all of everything, and that's how you build up your stockpile. Other than brass for a new chambering, all the other stuff crosses over with other cartridges. And when you get it all at once, there are no lot issues.

I bought 308 brass by the bucket full for about $20 per 5 gallon buckets full .I got a buck every time I went to my friends firing range .I reload so it's no problem to load for the 260 .The 6.5 cm is just a short fat version from another case just very hard to find cases to make brass from .I have never bought any factory 260 cases made them from 243 and 308 .My 264 win mag is the same way all made from 7 mm rem mag .My 260 with lapua bullets shoots under a dime at 100 yards and an inch at 300 yards .I have not found an innacurate load yet and it's out of a cheap savage model 10 . Its my favorite carry gun These days 3 pounds less than my 338 win mag and kickes 1/3 as much as the 338 and less than half of the 264 .I now want to make a custom ruger 77 with a stainless 27 inch sporter barrel for long range .I wish I had one if these when I grew up .The 6.5 cm is good but without cases or ammo your not in good shape .I meet new shooters at the range in that condition these days .

I bought 308 brass by the bucket full for about $20 per 5 gallon buckets full .
I have a ton of 308 Win and 243 Nosler, Federal, and Lake City brass also so the 260 made more sense for me also. Having been through 3 or 4 ammo/ reloading component shortages I tend to go with what I can easily get, have at hand, or convert. Nothing wrong with the crudmore or 6.5x47. I just had a Swede long before it came around so I didn't buy into the marketing behind it. I think all the points made for the 6.5 CM vs 260 rem or AI are easily dealt with by an experienced loader. One good thing the 6.5 CM did was bring in a whole new group of shooters. That helps with the continuing battle to keep our 2A rights.

I bought 308 brass by the bucket full for about $20 per 5 gallon buckets full .I got a buck every time I went to my friends firing range .I reload so it's no problem to load for the 260 .The 6.5 cm is just a short fat version from another case just very hard to find cases to make brass from .I have never bought any factory 260 cases made them from 243 and 308 .My 264 win mag is the same way all made from 7 mm rem mag .My 260 with lapua bullets shoots under a dime at 100 yards and an inch at 300 yards .I have not found an innacurate load yet and it's out of a cheap savage model 10 . Its my favorite carry gun These days 3 pounds less than my 338 win mag and kickes 1/3 as much as the 338 and less than half of the 264 .I now want to make a custom ruger 77 with a stainless 27 inch sporter barrel for long range .I wish I had one if these when I grew up .The 6.5 cm is good but without cases or ammo your not in good shape .I meet new shooters at the range in that condition these days .
Whatcha hunting with 6.5 creed in alaska?

[QUOTE="gbett308, post: 2050915, member: 104935
The occasional 30 cal bullet can be found but have not seen any 6.5 bullets in awhile.
[/QUOTE]

I just bought some Berger 140's and Hammer 124's online.

Last edited:
6.5CM ammo is still available if you look hard.
But, the shortage is no different than the component shortage for powder and primers.
That being said, I don't own a 6.5CM. And would probably buy a .260Rem over one too. Just for stubborness sake.
I agree with the philosophy, if it ain't broke, DON'T fix it! Yes the 260 and 264 win mag would be better with a little faster twist on heavy for caliber bullets. But that's a new barrel not a whole new caliber. Look how many times the twist rate has been changed on the 5.56/223. It started life as a 1:12 or 1:14. Now you can get them standard in 1:7 through 1:9. All modern rifles should be available in whatever twist the coustemers want. Just my opinion.

1. Laugh at people who say one chambering is superior to another because of one-off anecdote about an unprepared random guy during massive component and ammo shortage
  2. Shoot 30 cal thumpers anyways because they're inherently superior to the metrics
Couldn't agree more, 99% of the rounds will shoot just fine. I chuckle at guys claiming the CM is magical, bull. It is a good round, but so is the 6.5x55, 6.5x47, 260, 264, etc. So many people fall for the hype and think buying a so called accurate round will make up for poor shooting habits.

Can't count the number of times I've gotten behind a rifle that the owner doesn't think it will shoot and smiled when i seen their jaw drop when they see the target.

Accuracy comes from practice practice practice, not buying a certain round!

JMHO

Local stores order stock based on demand. Creedmoor is definitely more in demand.
Yes, it is for now. What happens when the fad fades. Unless it goes military it will never have the longevity of the 308, 30-06, 7x57 mauser, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r etc. These rounds and their progeny are time less. And as such Will always be available, if not in factory form at least in spent brass that I can easily neck up or down as needed. I don't like duplication, I have 3 main calibers tha fill all my hunting needs from varmint to brown bear and moose. 243 win; 55 grain to 105, 308 win; 100 grain to 220, and 338 win mag; 200 grain to 350. For self defense with some hunting application I have 7.62x39, bolt and AR, Mossin because it is the oldest caliber still in action today, 5.56 for obvious reasons and 458 SOCOM for close one shot stopping power. Even though the 458 SOCOM was developed for military application it hasn't realy taken off like most military designations have in the past. Which is unfortunate because it's a great round, surpassing the 45-70 from 150 to 300 yards on balistic coefficient alone and in an AR platform. But I digress, IT'S just like the auto industry every year trying to reinvent the wheel. If you have a good and reliable design or product why change it just for the sake of change. This is why vehicles cost as much as some houses now!!! I don't want to see this mentality take over the fire arms industry. I drive a 1987 Toyota 4x4 with over 300,000 miles on it and will untill it is no longer serviceable, and The 308 is still just fine for me!

I am a real old guy and have a 6.5-.308 because the .260 was not invented at that time - need more trimming for 7mm-08 & .243W brass. I still have that old Ruger M77 rifle. It has a beautiful Hart, 9 twist barrel and likes 123 Hornady ELDM's and any one of many different powders. It has also shot down silhouette chickens at 1000 with the 140 Sierra MK and H4350. I see no need to get a 6.5 CM.

If I planned to get a real shorty action/magazine rifle and achieve a perfect fit, I might consider either the 6 or 6.5 CM but my ancient rifle still works. I think the 6 & 6.5 CM are here to stay. I would not be surprised to see a military application for the 6.5 CM, 123 gr. 6.5 FMJ bullets are available.

I have had much hunting success with the .25-.308 aka .25 Souper and have shot several deers with the 100 grain Barnes TX (hollow point bullet) and many rodents with the 85 & 100 Nosler BT using a wide variety of powders. I still have the RCBS .25 Souper F/L die set and would sell it at my cost plus shipping (real cheap - it needs & deserves a good home).

I think the 6.5X55 with its funny .480 rim diameter is kind of a peculiar cartridge and have no plans to get a 6.5X55 because of the unavailability of cheap brass. 6.5X55 rounds don't fit inside my real old Rem 700 bolt, the extractor won't snap over the .480 rim - probably just my rifle as I know there are other Rem 700's that fit .480, 6.5X55 rims.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.