Why haven't you bought your wolf tag yet

Shame that Montana is raping us on cost of Non-resident $350 for the tag and and a lic is $343 so it would cost me 693 for a wolf.. sorry.. you guys can deal with them yourself... keep them...

I want to hunt them.. but I am not willing to pay that kind of money...

Idaho wants to clean up the problem so I am in on helping them...

Montana has too many folks from outside who are driving the bus... take a look at how many folks are relocating there from other areas and then you will understand why...

All I come up with is Conservation for $10, Hunter enhancement fee $10 and the license for $350 for a total of $370.

What kind of Montana license is needed to shot vermin in winter?

Some of us carry the rancher tags, they come in box's of 20 :cool: but for coyote and the like you just need the conservation and enhancement fees which is more or less just an access fee not a license to kill and for anything that doesn't fall under fur bearer or big game you need no other tags. Wolves are managed as big game and in a similar way as the mt lions.

Some of us carry the rancher tags, they come in box's of 20 :cool: but for coyote and the like you just need the conservation and enhancement fees which is more or less just an access fee not a license to kill and for anything that doesn't fall under fur bearer or big game you need no other tags. Wolves are managed as big game and in a similar way as the mt lions.

Well DUH! What else does a fella need? Knowwatimean?

biggreen I am confused.. since wolves are managed as big game, all the other species in Montana require I buy a lic and a tag and conservation etc... so I don't have to buy a lic?? just the tags..?? or can we buy a ranchers tag?? I will still say that all the states should be giving the tags away to get wolves thinned out.. thx

bng, you be way to innocent.:rolleyes: I wodda said naive but I don't know how to spell naive.:)

I Idaho one purchases a required license. Then one gets an elk, deer, bear and mtn lion tag. Bear and mtn lion are just in case one happens along.

If/when \one is feeling charitable a woof permit is purposed. The woof tag limit is one or maybe two per purchaser, depending. Then comes the mathematical part, soon to be incorporated in most high end LRFs....:) Tags = 1 or two. Mag holds 3 + 1. Go figure. The savvy woof getter uses enough projectile to ensure complete pass through regardless of the distance and only counts what is hauled home.

Only other option is a backhoe attachment for the ATV.

biggreen I am confused.. since wolves are managed as big game, all the other species in Montana require I buy a lic and a tag and conservation etc... so I don't have to buy a lic?? just the tags..?? or can we buy a ranchers tag?? I will still say that all the states should be giving the tags away to get wolves thinned out.. thx

I shouldn't have said ranchers tag, it's a local joke! In MT all you need is a conservation and enhancement fee then a tag for the species your after, basically! You then have permits that you can get that can extend or enhance your tag in some areas.

LICENSE REQUIREMENTS COST
Conservation Required Prerequisite
$ 8 Resident
$ 10 Nonresident
Hunting Access

Enhancement
Fee
Annual fee charged at the time
the hunter purchases his/her first
hunting license.
$ 2 Resident
$ 10 Nonresident

Wolf Required
$ 19 Resident
$350 Nonresident

bng,

So I can roam around in Montana w/a rifle and shoot stuff for $20.00?

If true, I could then slip over onto the MT side and shoot back into Idaho w/o worry?

Hey, that would be better than dual citizenship...

Hey, just looking for any advantage....:D

Once new an old timer who shot wolves for bounty, both in Canada and here in US, made a lot of money at it too, back in the day.
I figure they, (USFW), have spent untold millions on this project run amok, OUR money by the way!
I will happily help correct the screw-up when THEY start paying ME! Or at the very least an embarrassed "Thank You"!

Yeah I know, wife and kid's tell me I'm prone to hallucinations.

not trying to be a smartass but were could u draw elk tags that dont have wolves in mt. gun)

A whole lot of places...but another guessed correctly, I drew a bow tag to Missouri Breaks this year and leave in 2 days for 1.5 weeks of heaven.

The area I usually rifle hunt has plenty of wolves, I've seen fresh tracks...the locals are all for me shooting wolves and I would LOVE to help them...but $350 for a tag, and decent chance of being checked by a game warden on the way out....sorry, I'm not going to risk my hunting priviledges over that. If MT wants wolves shot by NR, follow Idaho's lead and charge a reasonable non-resident price for a wolf tag. $30 for a lottery ticket on a wolf is not unreasonable.

there are some in the breaks we were up there on the 20 of aug for a rifle damage hunt. we had one of the cmr guys tell us they had seen 4 different animals 2 down by the pines and the others by crooked creek. i'm like you i think the lic price is to high but thats what happens when the management is by people who want a trophy system.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts