1st wolf tag punched

Bear Camp

Black wolf down!

Ok lets back up and start from the begining.

Every labor day weekend me and my hunting buddies do a bear camp high up in the mountains of north Idaho in the huckleberry covered hill sides. This has been a great combination for spotting lots of bears at distance and getting some awesome long range opportunities. My long range hunting buddy-Bill aka Lamiglas here on LRH got a great bear last year at 1,100 yards! To say the least we were jacked to repeat this agian this year was an under statement!

As plans often do, this year was not panning out as expected. We were three days into our hunt without seeing a single bear. So, instead of sitting around camp i decided to hike down a ridge we don't see many bears on in hopes of changing my luck. I decided to grab the shotgun incase i ran into a few grouse along the way. About halfway down the ridge i stopped to glass down into an elk wallow just visible from the the top. My heart jumped when i saw something BLACK laying in the shade just off the wallow. Then my heart jumped right out when IT turned his head and i relized i was looking at a wolf! That shotgun was feeling like a paper weight right about then. The wallow was 315 yards away. Decisions time, what to do? I high tailed out of there at a high rate of speed to get my custom 338 RUM built by Defensive Edege and the rest of hunting crew. We returned to find that the wolf was not there anymore. As i was glassing the wallow over one last time i noticed there was blood pooled up in the water and in the bottom of the tracks in the mud on the left side. So we decided that it would best to set on the 315 yard 25 degree down hill shot and wait. Wait we did. Finally we i couldn't take it any more. My other long range hunting buddy Tim pulled out his electronic predator call. So we gave it a go. Not a minute into it we heard that deep throaty howl only a wolf makes deep in the timbered bottom. Now that made my hair stand up! A few short minutes later we cought movement on the timber edge. I dialed my elevation out and repositioned on the rock cliff. Two wolfs started to make there way across the hill side. One black and the other was grey. At 140 yards the black one turned broadside and cleared the brush. The 338 thundered and sent him rolling down the hill. Tim almost got the second one as it departed in hurry. The best part was that Bill got the whole thing on video!

So maybe next year it will be wolf camp instead of bear camp? Then again maybe not, i hear wolf is not that good eating:)

Attachments

• 2012-09-019518.18.47.jpg
    2012-09-019518.18.47.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 2012-09-019516.50.04.jpg
    2012-09-019516.50.04.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 130
You are the man!
Thank you !
Our season opens in Montana for rifle, Just north of the "mother ship" Yellowstone on Sept 15. All the elk are gone so the chances are slim untill it opens in the low country for rifle on Oct 15, but like you I am going to try and do my part.

That is the best kind of wolf, thank you and Congrats!

Nice write up brad. Maybe next year we can kill both wolfs, and bears! we did finally see a bear on the last day at 1751 yards but the wind was blowing to hard so we didnt take a shot. The night he shot the wolf, we had them all around our camp howling all night long! The week its archery elk, but maybe the week after we should go back and see if we cant rid the mountain of another elk killing critter

Rooster740,
best of luck too you. I'll be looking forward to your write up:)

Lamiglas,
the fallowing weekend i think we should give it another go at the wolves again. Maybe your 338 +p will be up and runninggun)

Yep the +p should be ready soon! On your +p build, have u decided on cerakote color yet?

nice job again brad, make sure you two send your kills to me and ill get them posted also. hope you guys can get a bear or two down. i may go out tomorrow and just look around a bit and see what may be out.

Well, we've eliminated a couple of them down here in central Idaho so its nice to see the northern boys doing their job. Keep it up and I, like everyone else would like to see the video.

Randy

Sorry about not getting back to everyone the last few days. My hunting buddies and I have been out scouting for elk. OK, so here's the deal on the video. Its over with Shawn at Defensive Edge getting reviewed to see if there's enough usable footage for the next Send It video.

Congrats BearCamp.
Nice looking rifle, love the colors. It looks like more of a sporter weight. What limitations do you feel that you have w/ that gun when Bill is setting beside you w/ his cannon? I am intrigued by something in the 300 RUM 10 lb pushing a 230 hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.