1st wolf tag punched

BH Hunter,

Yes it is a sporter weight rifle. She comes in at 11.5 lbs ready to hunt. Thanks for the complement. She's dressed in Bob's awesome rock web with the tungsten CeraKote on the metal.

Limitations are a little difficult to pin down. With Bill beside me calling the wind I've never questioned pulling the trigger on an animal if he gives me the green light and tells me to "send it". As for the rifle, its very accurate and has shot awesome groups at distance. Best groups to date under controlled shooting conditions was a 1 7/8" 3 shot group at 910 yards and a 12" 3 shot group at 1760 yards. Now, I've got to say two important things. I've found that it much more difficult to shoot in field/hunting conditions than a full canyon rifle is like Bill's. It's been real apparent when new to long range shooters shoot the full canyon vs sporter weight. Secondly, i love my sporter for hunting in specific areas/hunts but my next custom rifle (in process at Shawns) is being built on the canyon platform for uncompromising long range precision.

Brad

Great job on the wolf. Your certainly correct on the hair standing up on your neck when they cut loose, especially when they are all around you. I am hoping to get one, but since I began buying tags I don't see them any more!!!! LOL

Trust me, raising livestock in this state is justification enough, and should count as a tag all by itself... But if i do manage to kill a wolf i'd like to be able to keep him. Sure hope we don't start having trouble again, we lost a calf this spring and the neighbors lost three, they were issued a kill permit but nothing came of it and there were no more issues after that though.

Congratulations on the Wolf Kill!!!!!!! Great to see one of our "Game Killers" out of action!!! I must say, things looked pretty clear out there that day. Lately, all the smoke from wildfires would have made for poorer pictures, & hunting, I'm sure. Great job!!!!!
Idaho5r

Idaho5r,

Thanks for the compliment! There definitely "game killers" even though this one wasn't the biggest one of the bunch. As for the smoky haze, i guess we were hunting up high enough it didn't seem to be a factor?

Way to go!!! I was out earlier this summer and saw a few up high in the N FK Clearwater areas. I have not made it back yet. I have some located closer also that may get a look at this weekend, I'll be on the Upper CDA river drainage's. Good luck to all in Smokin' a few more this year. If Im in the area this year, I'll be trapping also.

Well boys its time for our annual bear camp again! Last year (start of thread) it turned into more of a wolf hunt and its looking like nothing has changed. The whole group minus ME is at camp and I got an update via phone call. Its pretty spotty cell reception but I got the bottom line info. I need to get up there ASAP!!! One bull moose was spotted and estimated at 45 inches, two whitetail does (unusual for that high of country), one bear at 1250ish yards with not enough time to set up a shot, and two wolfs on the trail where I killed the one last year at pistol range!!! I don't have all the small details as phone reception has been difficult but the wolfs got away with out a shot fired. I'm heading up tomorrow morning to joint my hunting brothers and can't wait to see what happens and get the full story. I promise we won't let another slip by with out some lead heading down range. Best of luck to all you in your persuits this fall.

Good luck, I hope you slay them good! Of course we would like pictures if/when you do. Whatever happened to the video? Did Shawn use it for his video? Take care

Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts