Why can’t Weatherby make a faster twist rate 7 mm barrel

BPollard

I have an older 7 wby mag that shoots awesome with 140, 145 and 150 gr bullets. Not so much with the heavier grain bullets. I feel if Weatherby change the twist rates on some of their barrels they would now be able to compete with some of the newer calibers being offered. If seven whether we had a better choice rate and could punch have your grain bullets out it would dominate and illuminate the need for 65 PRC 65 gap 65 anything. Don't get me wrong I love my 65 300 Wirelesss Weatherby is the cats meow.

I had the same issue with my 7mm Weatherby. It would only shoot decent with 120-140gr bullets. Since going with a 1:9 twist, it shoots heavier bullets great and has become my favorite all around hunting rifle.

If you want a fast twist 7wby it's only a barrel away.

The benefit of the popular mid size 6.5's is shootabilty and lack of recoil for their performance. A 7wby shooting 195's is a big step up in amount of powder burned and recoil not to mention cost of ammo/components and barrel life.

The SLOW Twists, IMHO probably go back to, ole' Roy Weatherby and His LIKING for, Very FAST Bullets that, Transferred ALL the energy INSIDE the Animal,.. THUS,.. the Lighter weight, Bullets in Slow Twists ???,.. My theory, anyway!
I had Two, German MK V, .270 WBY's ( 1-12 Tw ) that ONLY shot, 130's,.. "Well" !
I did Finally get, the Hornady 150 grain, Spire Points to, shoot,.. "OK" !
I think that, Hornady made them "Special" for, Wby / Norma Cartridges.

Last edited:
I bet we'll see a 7 RPM with an 8 twist in 2022. Not quite the case capacity the 7 wby has, but should be an interesting option.

I just saw an ad for a Weatherby coyote and it said it had a one in nine twist don't know if that was BS or not and I have to look into it

I have an older 7 wby mag that shoots awesome with 140, 145 and 150 gr bullets. Not so much with the heavier grain bullets. I feel if Weatherby change the twist rates on some of their barrels they would now be able to compete with some of the newer calibers being offered. If seven whether we had a better choice rate and could punch have your grain bullets out it would dominate and illuminate the need for 65 PRC 65 gap 65 anything. Don't get me wrong I love my 65 300 Wirelesss Weatherby is the cats meow.

One can do some incredible work with the 140's-150's. I've used a 7 Mashburn Super a lot over the last 3 or so decades and the 150 NBT has done most of my work. That and the 120 TTSX. I've been able to take game up to and including elk to 700 yards with these weights so I feel you're pretty well set up with what you have.