rate of twist in a barrel

casilva43

I have a remington sendero and do not know the rate of twist is in my factory barrel. I noticed on some bullets they suggest using a barrel with a 1 and 10 rate of twist or greater. So would a 1 and 15 be greater?

No, actually a "greater" twist actually means faster twist, so a faster twist than 1-10" (1 twist in 10" of barrel length) would be 1-9". Being faster would be greater.

This for you as a consumer would mean that a bullet requires a twist of (let's say) 1-10 would also be stabilized by a 1-9 twist , but not a 1-11" twist.

As for your Sendero, That's a easy thing to figgure out if we knew what cartridge it was chambered for and that it was the factory barrel. Remington is very specific as to what twist it uses for specific chamberings and they are listed in the specifications for the particular rifle in question on their site. If it's a older rifle that they no longer list, any rifle with the same chambering will have the same twist. If you are still in doubt, you can check the twist yourself using a onepiece cleaning rod, a tight fitting jag, a patch tape and a ruler or measureing tape. It's quite easy.

Just take the patch on the jag installed on the cleaning rod, insert it into the muzzle of the barrel. Put in a inch and mark with a marker. Using tape, put a "flag" on the rod to help you indicate a full turn. slowly push the rod in until 1 full revolution of the flag is seen. then stop and mark the rod again. remove the rod and measure between the two marks and that is the rate of twist of your barrel.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I have a remington sendero and do not know the rate of twist is in my factory barrel. I noticed on some bullets they suggest using a barrel with a 1 and 10 rate of twist or greater. So would a 1 and 15 be greater?
does any body know how to get ahold of belanger barrels , they used to make graduated twist rifling in barrels and i cant find them.

Never heard of belanger barrels. The "accelerated twist" or "gain twist" is something that has been around for a long time. I own my grandpa's custom 270 that he had built in the 1950's. Growing up in AZ, he got to know Jack O'Conner - a great champion of the .270. I remember my grandpa telling me about the custom barrel on that .270 and how the accelerated twist held near magical powers.

Many myths surrounding the special powers of the gain twist barrel have been debunked today, but one advantage does seem/appear to be true: because the twist starts out slower, less pressure is built up in the throat area of the barrel. This usually means longer barrel life. Many shooters still claim that gain-twist barrels are "faster". One barrel maker that manufactures gain-twist barrels is Rock Creek - and their barrels do have a reputation for being fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts