Why can’t we get good dies!

BTW i will be in Townsend new weekend for the match. Pretty sure that rsmithsr used to be under a different user name and got banned... We have shot together at Deep Creek last year.

As I said before, if you have to FL size to chamber a round, you have a bad chamber or are running too hot.

Again, read the book.

913EIhNSavL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

That's a joke. Go to a bench rest match and talk to some of the record holders and see what they are doing... Eric Cortina who is a record holding Lapua, Borden, Brux sponsored shooter for team Berger put out a video about why to stop neck sizing brass. It doesn't make any sense, and i shoot 1K bench rest and about 2-3000 rounds a year out of multiple rifles. If you neck size only, sooner or later you will have to bump shoulders back. I don't care what a book say's, i care about what people who are setting records are doing. Let me guess, since it's in a book, you must be against going above reloading manual max charge as well?

The OP was not talking about Bench Rest.
Like real experts I use a Chronograph and pressure transducer to determine max loads.
The whole subject is stupid and nobody but him and his water boy ever heard of a "clicker".
1000 rounds a year ? I am impressed. I shot that many last week. When is YOUR book coming out ?
This thread is going on ignore as the OP doesn't care and his water boy has severe DNS.
Adios.

A spirited discussion!
An alternate condition description for 'clicker' is 'popping extraction' (often accompanied with sound).
This is typically the result of fired cases left in interference fit with the chamber, but a poorly timed bolt to extraction ramp can contribute to the difficulty in it.

Big chamber clearances or small, and removing said timing issue, I'm sure the main culprit behind this issue is insufficient breech support for the cartridge & load. Very common..
And I'll add to this: If intent to run hot loads with a hunting capacity cartridge, AND solve this issue, then prepare to go THAT direction with planned action, chamber reamer, and custom dies.

Otherwise, off-the-shelf/factory combinations prove unforgiving pretty consistently.
And in the entire history of reloading, oversizing of brass has never actually solved anything.
For instance; You can squish the life out of cases to get extraction -but then how are you going to workaround losing more cases to opening primer pockets? Can't squish pockets back..

Last edited:
"Clickers" (PE failure) for the average hand loader is an "oh sh**t" moment....too hot of a load....period.
Competition shooters with better barrels, better chambers, better tools and more experience sometimes will "push" this envelope a little, within reason, to achieve optimal tune and results.
Back to the average guy, off the shelf barrels & dies most often work well together providing loads are kept at reasonable levels.
When the "clickers" develop when everything proves to be "normal", or even with mild loads, then equipment ie; barrel, chamber or dies should be looked at. Most times a slightly generous (or egged) chamber that causes this can be cured with small based dies (not ideal).
Some barrels themselves are prone to cause higher pressure that cause enough chamber "swell" during firing that the brass doesn't springback enough. Although not common it has been reported in short mags more than other cartridges.
Yes "clickers" have been around a long time and usually noticed most by handloaders. When the guy says only slight pressure signs like "mild bolt lift" or "small ejector marks" he is most likely way above "safe" working pressure.
Most often related to the handloads themselves. Never rule out the sizing equipment or methods. Out of spec dies or maximum tol dies may fail with "tough" brass of one brand while work fine with another. Also expect changes in sizing results as brass work hardens with firing cycles because the springback also increases.
My .02,
Randy

Edit: agree with Mikecr, I was typing while you posted.

This thread has made me thankful to not know what a "clicker" is, and to not have any problems with my forster and collet dies sizing and seating my cartridges. Better than normal accuracy yet no special chambers as well, and whats with book suggesting and quoting? I like when poster's post from real life experience not what some author said, authors say a lot but its just as suspect as anything else you hear, it just makes the author some money :)

Now don't challenge me to a bench match for my post, up here in podunkville we just shoot beer cans off stump's.........:)

I have quite a few custom rifles and almost every time I seem to have issues with dies sizing the web. I have tried custom dies and they seem to get messed up as well. Why don't die manufactures make dies that size the web?!? I get clickers on most rifles after a few firings because the web isn't getting sized. It isn't hard to measure. Insert the case length wise in calipers, size and check. I just don't Understand why die companies don't follow min saami as there base measurement and size off of that. Hornady has the smallest measurements that I have seen. Redding and Wilson are much larger.

I have had about 50 custom rifles built and have never had that problem, I've used Hornady, RCBS but mostly Redding dies,

I have encountered with 280 AI which I have had 8 built of where full length resized brass will fit in one one rifle and not the other but with a slight shoulder set back when resizing solves that issue, as someone else mention keep your brass to individual rifles will also solve that issue,

The only other issue I had was was pressure signs in a 6.5-284 with any load factory or handloads even loaded well below max, we found out the reamer was faulty around the throat and retouched the chamber up with a Manson Reamer and that solved the issue, in this case if the clicker your referring to was at the top of the bolt throw or tight bolt throw but minor I had this in this case, how I figured out there was a throat problem was when using my overall length guage I was getting a different measurement everytime, had the gunsmith check it out with his bore scope and sure enough found tooling marks in the throat.

Ive have had two 300 PRCs and six 6.5 PRCs built and have never had an issue with these cartridges/chambering either.

Either way this is a strange issue you mention with the web.

Last edited:

Recent Posts