Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?

The only thing I'm having issues finding right now is Varget and Federal primers.

Varget is apparantly now worth its weight in gold, and people hoard it like crazy. If I could hoard about 8-10 more lbs of it I would be happy with a nice supply, but so far my local shop hasn't gotten much in, and last time they did I bought 5 of the 20 lbs they got in.

My local store now has everything except Alliant powders, Varget, and Vhitavuori powders, and Federal primers. Everything else they have a nice supply of. I can buy H1000, Retumbo, 7828 SSC, and almost all of the IMR powders at will.

I am glad that i learn that when i got my first custom to by enouth powder and bullets and primers to shot the barrel out, It is a 338 ax so i got 24 pounds of retumbo 3000 primers 1500 smk. Boy am i glad. I GOT A USED 338 Norma last year i put in a order for 2000 300 gr berger hunter 8 month ago and got them yesterday. Last month i got 16 pounds of r-33. Last fall i came through milecity that is where RamShot mag is inported went to the sporting goods in town got 16 pounds of Ramshot mag. I would have realy like to get h-1000 and retumbo but i am so glad that my rifles will shoot these powders. In the sportman in missoula MT. THERE WAS A BOX OF 210 BERGER hunter 500 COUNT AND 300 GR OTM 250 COUNT. So there out there just nead to look. I love to shot at rocks. Joe PS dont what for them to come to your store order them and pay for them up front that way you will get them first.

I called and enquired about my order I put in for last month at Lohmans. 12-18 week backorder. That will be ok as long as I get it by Oct.

Pretty simple, micro economics. It's funny to listen to the idiots at gun shops with the conspiracy theories about this and that. In a year or so there will be an abundance of powder and price competition. Basic economics.

That is what they said when Obama got elected the FIRST time.

There was literally a line 50 people deep this morning at Sportmans when the doors opened and the truck did not arrive until after 10:00 am. It had jack squat for powder and everyone went home empty handed.

More households now have guns than ever before in this country's history. More people having guns means more demand for components. The factories, as far as I know, are not increasing production CAPACITY, just running the machines and people they have 24/7.

I suspect that it will eventually catch up, but not within the next year. Maybe not ever if we keep electing the kind of people we have recently.

Yesterday, Hornady released a list of bullets that they would resume production of. 7MM AMAX were one on the bullets they will start making again.

I put an order in to Sportsmans Guide for 500 6.8 SPC SSA brass on July 6th, for a much lower price then what they are now. I just got them two days ago. I bought a jug of h1000 yesterday, but at the ridiculous price of 37$ a pound. I'm going to wait until it comes back online I think. Patience is working now though. Just get all you can between now and Nov '16...

There isn't individual production lines for each powder type. One production line is dialed in for a particular powder and a batch/lot is run. Then the production machinery is dialed in for another type and, bingo, another batch for a different type of powder is produced. So when they have Retumbo it is because that is what has been run.
Lots of H50BMG on the shelves right now but last month the local stores had Retumbo and H1000. Bought 8lbs of Retumbo. H322 showed up the next week and I bought 7lbs of it. Haven't seen pistol/shotgun stuff for 6 months.

I started this drought with about 30 lbs of older powder and was glad for it. But I thought I had several thousand small pistol primers and actually had only 500. With my wife, two kids and I shooting small primer calibers, we ran through those pretty fast. But today primers are pretty available.

So many new shooters and a high percentage are starting to reload that I predict the consumption isn't going to change. Stockpile when available is going to be the norm.

Four years ago my youngest son bought 4 bricks/ 2000 total of Federal 22LR's in an ammo can at Cabela's for $80. The only 22LR for sale in Western Washington is $99/ one 500rnd brick. And all of it will be gone by Monday morning. That's $10 for a box of 50 or about what I was paying for 9mm Luger a couple of years ago.
That's just plain wrong!
Going to vote with a fervor this year!

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.