Why can’t we get good dies!

Rhovee

I have quite a few custom rifles and almost every time I seem to have issues with dies sizing the web. I have tried custom dies and they seem to get messed up as well. Why don't die manufactures make dies that size the web?!? I get clickers on most rifles after a few firings because the web isn't getting sized. It isn't hard to measure. Insert the case length wise in calipers, size and check. I just don't Understand why die companies don't follow min saami as there base measurement and size off of that. Hornady has the smallest measurements that I have seen. Redding and Wilson are much larger.

my opinion on this is that it has as much to do with custom rifle builders using quality ground precision reamers to much tighter spec. than the old sloppy saami chambers that the die makers are still making dies for.
the 6.5 prc seems to have a bigger problem than most lately with this. I got lucky in that my Hornady 6.5 prc die is sizing my web .0015-.002 depending on how many reloads on brass

What am I missing here. I have 5 belted magnums. One is a semi-auto. I have never found the need to size the web as long as cartridges are segregated by rifle.

If you don't wish to do that, this will solve your problem. http://larrywillis.com/

In my R1 300 WinMag, I use a Lee collet die and have never had a failure to chamber.

If you are segregating brass, and having chambering issues. you have a: out of round chamber OR b: way too hot loads.

I load for 17 rifle cartridges and use collet or neck bushing dies for all.

Almost all custom reamers are min saami. Dies aren't made the that spec. Which doesn't make sense to me when considering a 338 edge that isn't offered in a factory chamber.

I have quite a few custom rifles and almost every time I seem to have issues with dies sizing the web. I have tried custom dies and they seem to get messed up as well. Why don't die manufactures make dies that size the web?!? I get clickers on most rifles after a few firings because the web isn't getting sized. It isn't hard to measure. Insert the case length wise in calipers, size and check. I just don't Understand why die companies don't follow min saami as there base measurement and size off of that. Hornady has the smallest measurements that I have seen. Redding and Wilson are much larger.
The first issue is getting the die makers to understand there is an issue. I was working with Hornady and Redding prior to covid and they refuse to believe there is an issue.

Here's what is not clear in all these posts.

Please answer these questions.

1. Are you shooting loads that do not exceed max ?
2. Does you chamber meet SAMMI specs ?
3. Are you able to rechamber a fired cartridge ?
4. Are you using the correct dies for your cartridge ?
5. After you resize a cartridge on those dies will it chamber ?
6. After you reload a cartridge on those dies will it chamber ?

If you answer all 6 "yes" you have no problem.

If NOT please be VERY specific describing your issue.

I have yet to meet a cartridge, reloaded on good dies for that cartridge, that will not chamber in a factory rifle chambered for that cartridge.

We cannot help w/o a COMPLETE narrative of the problem !

AND, "clickers" are not caused by big webs, they are caused by excessive head space from a two deep chamber OR, belt too thin (belted), rim too thin (rimmed), shoulder pushed back. (rimless)

This is all reloading 101 stuff !

"Clickers" are caused by too little clearance in the area of the brass at the end of the chamber(roughly .200" above the case head). This can be from excessive pressure or lack of sizing. Based on your reloading 101 statement I would say apparently it is not 101. I would also add that the answers to your questions provide very little if any data helpful to correcting Ryan's issue.

Last edited: