I can’t figure this out

How well do u know this rifle? Meaning u said bore has not been cleaned so how many rounds has been fired since last cleaning? I have rifles that hold 1/4 moa till 200 rounds or so fired before they start to open up but on the contrary I have had hunting rifles that I would get same results and have groups open up after 40 rounds. Lots of factors play into this like powder, barrel quality etc. Had a hunting rifle do about same results in your pic and I took it home full bore cleaned it, shot a few rounds to foul it back out and next group I shot was less than an inch at 400. Just an idea, good luck brother.

The other day with the rifle I shoot best I shot a 3 inch group at 100 o_O. The week before I had shot a .2 group with the exact same setup. My buddy that was there at the range with me, snagged the gun and shot a .3 group. So maybe it just wasn't your day, Who knows? I was amped going into shooting that day I am pretty certain heavy weightlifting and high caffeine don't mix with precision shooting. Made for a good laugh though as I couldn't shoot for crap that day. My biggest suggestion is don't over think it. I saw a dude pull his whole gun apart over a bad group.

Do nothing....go shoot the same amount of rounds and see if it repeats or works out.

If not, try like others said, go over it, clean it really well, etc.

I have a shorty 308 that is giving me fits so I can relate. One day it's on fire and the next you want to throw it in the fire.

I hear you. I clean after every range session. Only exception has been during cold bore mapping but that was only one shot followed by a three shot group and then put it away until next week....then repeat.

I just feel better when they are cleaned before they are stored.

Cases sorted by weight, necks checked with a concentricity gauge, annealed, resized with .002 neck tension.
Try a different powder. I never could get Retumbo to shoot in any of my rifles...Still got most of the 2nd pound I bought trying to find a load that any of them liked...Never happened.

Try IMR 7828 SSC or 7977. H1000 would be another worth trying.

Glad to hear you're having this trouble because I am too, although yours appears far worse. I'm shooting a .264 Win Mag through a Sako 75 action with a Pac-Nor Supermatch barrel, 8-twist, 26 inches long, 150 rounds through it, scrupulously cleaned and then pre-fouled with 3 rounds at powder changes. I have read a lot about guys loving Retumbo in their 6.5's but I found that with both the 140 Bergers and the 143 ELD-Xs, my groups shrank considerably as I went up in burn rate from Retumbo to H1000 to H4831SC. Yesterday my group averages went under 1" with H4831SC (avg. of 4, 3-shot groups) and a little over that with H1000, both loaded to Hornady's book max. Retumbo was around 2" and pretty erratic. I've concluded that Retumbo is just too slow for this application/combination, at least in my rifle. Now I love Retumbo in my Weatherby 338-378 with 300 gr. Bergers, but it doesn't seem to work in my .264.

I would put more credence in either a fouled bore or different down pressure on the bipod, especially if the rifle shot well before. Or, it was one of those days....

My .264WM mod 70 likes 129sp
68 gn retumbo. @100 1/4" n under. Clean it & shoot it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.