Why do we ignore the horizontal?

I don't know who "we" are that are ignoring the horizontal but it isn't me. Though this is a bit over simplified basically, I do load development at 200 yards until I get a 4-shot group that is 0.7 MOA or better. If the group is repeatable on another day I call it good and go hunting. I can usually do that in less than 20 shots. I don't see much point wasting ammo and barrel life to get to 0.5 MOA as I'm not even sure I can shoot that good consistently though it seems to happen every now and then. After this I will periodically take cold bore shots at ranges out to 600 yards and assess the miss relative to dead perfect. If I think the miss is a bit much for my intended application I may do some more load development.

why are we ignoring the horizontal dispersion in ladder and OCW type load development?
More interesting yet, is the different responses, chest beating, and eye poking that comes from the various sites you posed the question on....well, one in particular....:D

Generally, you work on the vertical with powder, and the horizontal with seating, with no ignoring of either.

Results need to be repeatable.....

Having the advantage of an underground tunnel to control the atmospherics, at Gunwerks we account for all variables in determining the load for a specific caliber, bullet style and weight, cartridge, barrel length, and contour. Measuring each bullet hole both Vertically and Horizontally will give the shooter a better understanding of what the load is actually doing, and for testing purposes it gives us better data. I am not sure we can prove that most of the motion is vertical because of other factors such as stress that could effect the direction of travel. I think the common ground is to try and develop a load that will exit the barrel at the point of barrel travel when it is about to make a change in direction. Although this time is very short, it is the place where barrel travel is minimum, and will give us the potential for more accuracy, as opposed to when the barrel is headed to the other side of the vibration. Even if the vibration is horizontal we would still work for developing a load at the two points where travel will be reversed.
This got me thinking about a few things: If we had a fixture that would hold the action and barrel in a clamping style as opposed to the screws and recoil lug at the bottom of the action, so we could eliminate the lever that is created by the difference between the center of the bore to the bottom of the lug/action, and eliminate the moment of upward movement of the barrel, would the vibration still have a more vertical effect?? Or would it vibrate in all directions? Making load development easier, but less accurate?
If the movement of the rifle in an upward direction dictates the harmonic of the barrel, does rifle cant effect the harmonic and accuracy??

Looks like it is time to do some testing!!!

I tried to measure it once because I don't have faith in single axis 'models' (like varmint Al's).
Figured with X/Y measure, and bullet exist sensed, I could tune and monitor tune independent of target information.
But, it proved (to me) a very difficult task.
I tried with Starrett laser mics built nicely into a tripod mounted ring, and a DAS. I had the resolution and accuracy. But recoil and affordable digital sample/storage rates left me a ways from the goal..
This stuff is happening really small and quick.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.