Votes: 36 18.5%
  • Need to for a wildcat.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • It's just a hobby.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • To have more component options.

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters
I started for accuracy and to save money, but in all honesty I shoot so much now and spend so much on different powders, bullets and upgraded equipment trying new things that it's really not a money saving thing in the long run. I get to shoot alot now though and it makes me a much better marksman and with the improved accuracy I would recommend it to anyone. Besides it's something to do during the winter in the evenings. :)

Needed to check multiple boxs

Accuracy,performance boost,wild cat and improved cartridges,cost savings.However its a pain in the neck. If I was rich I'd only load for the wild cats .

My main reason would definately be accuracy. I couldn't imagine having to go back to factory ammo after dialing in all of my rifles with reloads. The .338 Lapua would be very expensive to shoot if I didn't.

I am now very confident shooting my rifles with reloads and I feel it gives me an advantage when taking long or difficult shots on game. I would have no problem taking a 300 yard shot on a deer if I could only see his head and neck. I couldn't say that 10 years ago.

Ivo

Well, started when I was 19 in 1999 to save money. I shot 600-700 rounds of centerfire that year up from a box or two. Kept loading until I started working on the oilpatch in 01, didn't have the time and my equipment stayed packed up. After alot of fighting with factory loads that wouldn't shoot and buying a 264 in 05 and a 30-378 in early 07 I started reloading again before I bought any factory wby ammo. .... It's not all economics, the quality is better, it is an antistress. ALbeit it does get a little old by the end of a 100 round session. I use the cheap little lee trimmers with a drill to trim so I trim alot during the NHL playoffs(except for my 30-378, 264 Need case length gauges). Most brass prep happens during the winter as it's too cold to shoot and work leaves no daylight hours to target shoot. If I have daylight during the winter I hunt yotes or try to spend time with the famly.

Jason.

Saving money was not something I considered at all. I guess for me, at first, it was simply the fascination of being able to "put it all together myself." In a way, I am glad that all of the game animals I had killed prior to loading were taken with a bow.

I've killed only ONE animal using factory ammo in 20+ years of loading. All of the others were with my loads. There is also something very satisfying about that. I'm truly guessing but I'd say 80% were with ballistic tips. When I first saw them I thought they were cool and they had a great reputation for accuracy. (no one ever told me that some blew up). And to date, I've still never had that happen.

My brother also bowhunted long before using a rifle. He's never taken any game with factory ammo, just the stuff I made.

Accuracy was what I was striving for. When I was told that I could custom load a round for an individual rifle using components that were of my choosing, I jumped all over it.

The proof was realized when I took a plain old factory Ruger MK II in 270 to the range with my first handloads using 140 Ballistic tips, IMR4350, WW brass, and WLR primers. I had no mentor to teach me much, but I did work in a firearms store in Tucson long enough to learn from their own custom reloading dept guys. I knew nothing of the ladder method, or changing seating depths at that time. I simply seated the bullet to whatever the load book said.

Loaded up 4 rounds each charge beginning at minimum and going to max. Found out that 1/2 grain under max was what my rifle liked and it shot 4 bullets in 3/4". Retested it and it was even less. 3rd test and they were about an inch. I kept working with it and they never grouped over an inch at 100 yards.

I killed a LOT of southern deer with that load for years. (you can kill a deer a day in Alabama and they had "doe days" after Christmas). Same with the 7mag and 140 Btips.

Interesting poll. I agree with the others. Need on more catagory,(all the above). I have two wildcats that I load for. I also load for all my other calibers to save move, to able to shoot more often. For better accuracy. My 223 uses 75 grain bullets for max accuracy and you can't buy loaded ammo for that. And for sure loading is relaxing, fun, and rewarding.

I currently need to handload as all my 8 rifles fire either improved or wildcat cartridges, but would do so even if some or all of the rifles were capable of using factory ammunition. Regards. Brian

Why do I reload? Hmmm, lots more reasons, for accuracy mostly I used to load for Wildcats 25-06 and 7mm STW. Cost savings allows me to shoot more often. From the late 60's to about fifteen years ago there was hardly any factory premium bullets loaded in factory form except for Weatherby with the Nosler Partition. I have 300 Wea. ammo that has Nosler bullets that Mr. John probably made himself, so I will say reloading gives me more options to do the best job that I apply the rifle to.

I can't say one without the other,accuracy and to save money. I got rid of my 22-250 and picked up a Ruger MarkII in 308 LE version.I kept my -Tasco World Class 10x40x50 for all my hunting, from elk to coyotes here in Eastern Oregon. for the best accuracy ,i make my own,it;s relaxing and cheaper.Plus coyotes hate the 80 grain loads.gun)

nnomad46

PS I do use my 54cal smoke pole Lyman 1:66 twist round ball:)

I like reloadingbecause it gives me a excuse to tell my wife that I gotta get out the house, plus I like it cuz you get to play like a kid but more seriously.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.