Why do you reload cartridges?

Its fun to try and out due yourself New bullets come out You read how good a new powder works It is also something to do when hunting season ends and you are waiting for fishing season

5. price. You get what you pay for
4. accuracy and consistency
3. True custom fit to MY rifle
2. satisfaction. There is nothing like hitting a 1200yd target with a bullet you stuffed yourself. There is nothing like picking a bullet out of a deer or hog or elk that you seated in that case you fire formed to your rifle and did a full load development on.
1. Just to have the knowledge. I don't like using things that I don't understand. This includes hybrid cars and smartphones. I feel like more people should want to know how something works and if they could recreate it if the whole world went to poop. Alot of knowledge and technology is LOST every year because the end user assumes that it will always be there. I take nothing for granted.

For me it started out to save money in the late 90's. I used to meet up with my ex father in law and spend hours shooting rocks lol. Then as the rocks kept getting further away it demanded more accuracy wore out 4 300 win mags blowing up rocks ha ha!! I compete in some local 600 yard matches these days. He competed with pistols and drug me into that as well for a while. Then my brother went on a gun collecting spree and I got pretty good and efficient at doing load work up. I'm super glad to have the skill set and it's been helpful these days being able to work up something different if something becomes unavailable. Can't imagine being dependent on factory ammunition for accuracy let alone the additional cost

I had an opportunity to have a good friend mentor me getting started. The bug stuck.
Sometimes, if I pick up something I will work with it, as a personal challenge. When I get it working as best it will,, down the road it goes and I start another.

I tie flies for fly fishing, now custom for salmon trolling, make lures, fletch my own arrows, so hand loading just seemed natural step for my shooting. Started reloading probably cause I saved my brass and said to myself "what are you going to-do with ALL this brass?". Yep, reuse it! First priority was make it go bang, then hey! Maybe I can get more accuracy! Hey, maybe better hunting bullet! Then, hey! This is fun! Then hey! This is a deep rabbit hole!šŸ˜‚

I get to control the ammo, I shoot. It may not seem like a big deal for the casual hunter or anyone shooting 600 rounds a year.
However, when you shoot tons, it's nice to cut the cost even if it's by 10 cents, plus I know that every round is the same and how it will perform in that gun/rifle.
I would agree whole heartedly that if you don't shoot much, there is a lot (or was) of great ammo out there and reloading is a time suck.
Unless you just like doing it for fun or a family thing.

Started doing it to save money. Shoot more and have more accurate ammo for rifles and shotguns. Very rewarding to me. Went to Africa in 2013 and me and buddies took 29 head of plains game every animal shot from loads I developed. Only purchased on box of factory ammunition in last 40 years. In 2021 due to low availability of brass. Love working up loads fire forming brass tuning to particular rifle bullet combinations. I tried to get as much as I can out of a particular caliber.

It's therapeutic for me. I enjoy knowing how to do it. Now with the 30 Nosler, considering that I have the equipment to do it, is substantially less expensive to shoot reloads than store bought cartridges. But beyond that, I like being able to customize a round for my rifle and not shoot a round that's made for any rifle.

I like the technical aspect of it. Before retiring I worked in the engineering department of a equipment manufacturing company. Handloading keeps me thinking.

Handloading allows me to tailor loads for my firearms. I can achieve a degree of accuracy that can't always be achieved with factory ammo. I also shoot rounds that aren't factory loaded. I also like the process of loading ammo.

Quite a few of my rifles are obsolete, so reloading is the only option. Now, I could have custom ammo made, and have looked at that but, $120/20 is a little pricey. But for the most part, I feel you have a better connection to your rifle/pistol/shotgun when you reload, as you have taken the time to find the best that combo that best suits your needs, and not just a brand/model that shoots well.