Who makes the best Rifle Powder and why,

Kevin
I agree. Handloaders typically match their powder based on burning rate.
I doubt that there are any 'bad' powders out there. Matching the powder to the case, barrel length, bullet weight is what's important.

I have used IMR 3031 for my 22-250 and 243 for many years, and have easily obtained just under 1 moa groups. Then in a post on here I read about 4064 powder and its use in the 308 match ammunition, and decided to work up loads for both the 22-250 and 243. The first up was 55 grain sierra btsp in the 22-250 and the load developed produced tight little clover leafs @ 3/8" groups consistently. After being very impressed with those results, I developed a load for the 243 100 grain speer btsp, which is consistently shooting .5" groups. I experimented with 4350 in the 243 and 1.5" groups was the best I could do.
Every firearm is different and it might take some work/fun to figure out what your personal firearm likes. Have some fun and burn some powder.

Good shooting and God bless.

The IMR or "Improved Military Rifle" powders are seeming pretty old school these days, but they have a lot going for them...

They are extremely consistent, lot to lot. Ask any of the techs at Sierra, and they'll likely tell you that the IMR powders are the most consistent from one lot to the next. That means a lot--pun intended. :)

Paul Box at Sierra once told me that the IMR 4895 was the most consistent powder they had ever used, from one lot to the next, it stays the same.

I realize that the IMR powders are not "Extreme" rated, but with that "extreme" rating comes some other unwanted issues, such as lot inconsistency and ignition issues which cause these powders to like a case full so they'll have plenty up against the flash hole. Varget is a great powder, for instance, when you stuff the case to 90+ percent... but in lesser volumes, you can get some pretty crappy ES numbers.

Reloder powders are pretty good, but folks at times report lot variations with those.

VV powders are really great... but not as commonly available as other options, and the 2 pound thing is a minus when considering one of those powders for load testing. (They only have it in 2 pounds lots around here, anyway)...

So if I have the option of using an IMR powder formula, that's what I tend to go with. It's consistent, it's easy to light... and sure, it's a bit temp sensitive but you need to learn trajectories for cold weather anyway--regardless of what powder you're using.

So I vote for IMR. Give me 4895, 4064, and 4350 and I can pretty much do what I need to do. :)

Dan

I liked Varget for a large percentage of catrtidges buyt it meters rough for my tastes.

I started switching to IMR 8208 XBR. Meters excellent, very stable, I get great accuracy and it seems to work across a similar spectrum of cartridges.

I also Like H1000 for the upper end.

If we only get one, H-1000 hands down. But I always have my eyes open to a new super powder too.

Jeff

Hey Broz, how did your experiments with Magpro work out? Were you able to get good accuracy in that screamer you had?

I stopped 2 grains short of max (300wm) and had velocities in the 3210's and 3220's with 180 pills but just can't seem to get it to shoot. Not sure if it's powder at this point tho. Wondering if it shot well for you?

Chris

I rekon I am just an old hat. I have been satisfied with IMR4895 for over 35 years for .30-06 and .308 and and will never change. I do however, use H4895 in .223 and H4831 in .300 Win Mag.
No sense in changing what works.

For some reason it always comes back to IMR 4064.
I'm confused.

This thread title asks who makes the best rifle powder and why. His immediate answer is not a maker but instead a specific powder and no "why" whatsoever.

So. . . . .depending on how one interprets his quest. . . .

First one has to establish what the objectives are for a particular shooting discipline.

Second, one needs to rank them from most important to least important.

Third, there needs to be conditions stated for the objectives to be met in.

Fourth, what standards or performance levels are to be met.

Have a nice day, folks. . . . .

PS: IMR4064 would be an extremely poor choice for the .22 rimfire rifle round as well as a .600 Nitro Express cartridge.

I have used R22 in my long range .338 win mag 30 in barrel 250 smk gr bullets seated out in just the neck at 3068

Nothing but Hodgdon powders for me. Well, maybe some 8208 XBR and just a little R17.:)

Why only Hodgdon? Because the Hodgdon boys along with the Emmerts sent an autographed twenty-fifth edition loading manual to Dad and I back in the mid 80's.

I really like the idea of their "Extreme" powders, and I love Varget and 4350 and 4831 SC's versatility. Sure do wish they'd make 4350 in a SC version though.

Well, not alot of info to work with here, as to what makes the "best" powder. We can't decide among ourselves who makes the best full size pickup (Ford) out of just a few makers, yet there are many powder companies, and literally hundereds of different powders, each with it's own niche burn rate...

And even though my requirements are likely far different than those of most guys on here, i'll throw out my choice.

I need my loads to do 700 yard work (what alot of guys consider mid range), i throw light charges then trickle to final weight so metering is not a huge concern, and i like loads that have a very wide min-max load range, to give me some cushion in loading (why i don't load H110 for pistol, loads under min can be dangerous, and a very narrow min-max range), i also prefer stick powder. For this i choose Alliant Reloader powders, with 22 doing most of our heavy lifting. I have heard complaints about temp sensitivity with them, but generally have not found this to be enough of a problem for my requirements.

I also must somewhat sadly admit, i have never used the IMR series of powders in my rifles... Nothing personal, i just have a large supply of Alliant powder and they have never given me trouble... Who knows, i could be missing out!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.