• Barnes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler

• Swift

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of the only two bullet manufacturers in the poll that we cannot vote on.....Sierra. For target AND hunting.

As for powder, Hodgdon.

Last edited:
I've shot hornady for awhile now. They fit my needs and they make some really good hunting bullets and I'm a big fan of the eld-m line. That being said, the consistency of sierras are better than hornady along with bergers. I'll be running sierras in my new 6mm creed barrel most likely. Possible the new 115 nosler rdf as well.
I loaded some 105 Nosler RDF for my 6mm Creed and they did really well.

Oh boy, agreed its a tough one.

I try to use powders that aren't affected much by temperature changes due to the high temperatures during the summer.

I've mostly been loyal to IMR-4350, 4895 and 4064 for a long time. Now some newer more temp stable powders can give me more velocity, its just hard to find them in stock.

For my 7mm Rem Mag I've been meaning to try H1000 and IMR-8133, both temp stable but again hard to find in stock anywhere. IMR-4350 and RL-19 work pretty well for me on this cartridge

For my Hunting 7mm-08's I still have 10 lbs of 4064 and a couple of 4895 and they work great for me. With both cartridges I get half MOA or better with several bullets.

For Silhouette competition I use Sierra Matchkings, they are very accurate and hard to beat in my experience. In my 7mm-08 I use 44.5gr of IMR-4350 with the 150gr Matchking HPBT, I get 0.3" groups at 100m and 3" groups at 500m.

For Hunting I've use mostly Nosler and Hornady bullets, Ballistics Tips, Ballistic Silvertips and SST's, these last ones my favorites, they are deadly and accurate.

The answer to your question:

Sierra for Competition
Hornady for Hunting

I use a lot of Varget, IMR 4350 (.243s), IMR 4831 (.25-06) and RL-15. These are powders that if I see on the shelf, I grab a pound every time!

After 50 years of reloading, I took inventory of my powder and bullets. It seems I have more Hodgdon powder on the shelf currently. I have more Hornady bullets. That being said, I also have bullets and powder from most other manufactures on the shelf also.

Most accurate bullets overall for 30 cal is Sierra for me. Most accurate 22 cal bullets overall is Hornady. Most accurate powder overall is Hodgdon. Most used primers is CCI. Best reloading dies - Redding. Ask any of my shooting buddies their favorites and you will get a myriad on responses consistant with their respective guns, shooting activities, and economy of components. I am grateful for the variety of our choices today. I guess I have come to enjoy the journey with less regard for the destination these days. Good shooting!

I'm fortunate to have my "range" in my back yard and lots of time to reload. I have found no magic powder or bullet. I have hunting rifles from 17 Hornet up to 300 Wby. They each like different bullet/powder combos. Hornet likes Vmax, .204 likes Sierra, 243 prefers Nosler. 7-08 is SST's..and the Grendel eats Speer... I4350, RL22, 10 and 15, and Match Rifle powders get refilled the most at my house...BUT if I was forced to choose one of each for big game hunting in NC.....I4350/Speer. Keep in mind, shots on deer rarely reach 200 yards, most are closer to 75. I'm sure the long range guys will have great thoughts for those 600+ loads

Mostly h-1000 and varget. Berger and Hornady, but that's just what I'm into at the moment with the loads I'm working on currently. Next month in could be Alliant powders and Sierra. I would get to hung up "ON THE BEST"

They all make good bullets. In my opinion, the most accurate bullets are made by Berger and Sierra. Hornady has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but I'm starting to expand and use bullets from Sierra and Berger. I used Hornady for years because they were cheaper, shot great, and worked on game. I'm still a big fan of Hornady ELDs nonetheless.

For powder, I stick with anything from the Hodgdon Extreme line like Varget, H4350, H4831, H1000, Retumbo etc. The IMR Enduron line of powders like IMR 4451, IMR 4955, and IMR 7977 are all good as well. The newer Alliant Reloder powders such as RL16, RL23, and RL26 are also good choices. I like temperature stable and/or predictable powders. All of the above are great choices and give consistency, accuracy, and good velocity.
Yup!

I guess the best answer is: Yes.
Seriously - IMHO it depends your application, velocities, desired end result for the bullet, etc. As newbie, I have been using Sierra, Berger and Hornady bullets, Aliant, Hogdon, TAC etc. Still a newbie and looking at what will work best for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.