Who hunts with a chassis

Interesting thread. I'm bought a chassis for my rifle with the idea of doing some long range competitions to get better at long rang hunting. Was planning on switching the stock for hunting season but no sure yet.

Corey
I can interchange between chassis and conventional in a couple of minutes with no change in POI/precision.........pros and cons with each design. Price of each stock was similar. Personal preference plays a big role in choice. For me, Chassis for sure for PRS and targets.....I'm undecided for hunting.
3E12AC95-C144-45C1-9F69-DB23010F0F33.jpeg
55F0F8C8-0D53-406F-AA0C-F9D769E32BF9.jpeg

I'm now hunting with my first chassis, chambered in 6.5 Addiction. So far, so good.View attachment 166984 View attachment 166985
MattK,

What's the weight on the build? BTW, my TRG22 is a 6.5 Addiction. I love the round. I can run a 147 mid 28s with RL 16, mid 29s with 4831, or mid 30s with RL 26. But I didn't get the accuracy and consistency I was looking for with RL 26, so I've been running mostly h4831 for PRS and other matches. Did you have to have the mag well in the action opened up for the long length of the rounds? Did the Curtis bolt face have to be opened for the swede case head?

Greyfox,

When you are listing those weights is that with or without bipod?

Last edited:
My chassis (MPA Lite and a Hybrid) rIn in the 12.5-13.5# range. I do spot/stalk, and stand hunting. I hunt mostly whitetail, mule deer, antelope. Have the 300WM for the larger game(elk).
View attachment 166742 View attachment 166743 View attachment 166744

I really like your MPA Lite Chassis! I looked up the website and they only have 700 Remington. I have Savage FV12 6.5 Creedmoor and looking to get a new chassis. How did you get your chassis for your savage rifle? Thanks!

Mdt makes a chassis that is decent for the savage. I have had a couple. This is a modified mdt chassis for the bighorn action I have. The rifle read to shoot is 10lbs. (Suppressor, scope, folder, arca, picatinny)

Attachments

• CEE65C26-7D4B-4373-8226-2EB59A793DCD.jpeg
    CEE65C26-7D4B-4373-8226-2EB59A793DCD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 278
I really like your MPA Lite Chassis! I looked up the website and they only have 700 Remington. I have Savage FV12 6.5 Creedmoor and looking to get a new chassis. How did you get your chassis for your savage rifle? Thanks!
The Lite MPA on my Savage LA was the MPA light weight chassis version prior to the introduction of the newer Hybrid, which replaced it, and shown on my 700 action. The Hybrid is about the same weight of the discontinued Lite chassis, but has the option of adding weights should you also want to use it for competition. They are supposedly going to expand the availability of action types.

Mdt makes a chassis that is decent for the savage. I have had a couple. This is a modified mdt chassis for the bighorn action I have. The rifle read to shoot is 10lbs. (Suppressor, scope, folder, arca, picatinny)
I have an MDT for my Savage MKII 22 Rimfire. It's a nice chassis that offers a much better bedding surface then the factory supplied stocks.
7985369B-4FA6-4583-8AFE-3F1EE9E3D0DA.jpeg

What barrel is that? I just looked at the MDT. It's not quite as lightweight, but it's almost half the price !

I have mountain hunted Alaska with a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis rifle at 16lbs, a XLR chassis at 13lbs, and now a Desert Tech SRS at 12lbs. I'll continue using the SRS as it shoots extremely accurate at different hunting positions and it's considerably more packable than anything else I've used despite the weight.

Attachments

• D88C9749-0C51-49D2-9828-81ABFFBBE17B.jpeg
    D88C9749-0C51-49D2-9828-81ABFFBBE17B.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 303
A friend of mine hunts with his chassis and keeps saying the he likes it. Watching him fight with it just seems really awkward. He missed a shot at a sheep this year trying to get it unfolded and set up. Don't get me wrong I love my MDT ESS chassis. It's great for coyotes or targets, anything I don't have to pack it for. Just can't get my head wrapped around the idea for other hunting.

I can interchange between chassis and conventional in a couple of minutes with no change in POI/precision.........pros and cons with each design. Price of each stock was similar. Personal preference plays a big role in choice. For me, Chassis for sure for PRS and targets.....I'm undecided for hunting.
View attachment 166970 View attachment 166971
That's an intriguing idea. I have wondered how effective it would be to have both and go back and forth.

MattK,

What's the weight on the build? BTW, my TRG22 is a 6.5 Addiction. I love the round. I can run a 147 mid 28s with RL 16, mid 29s with 4831, or mid 30s with RL 26. But I didn't get the accuracy and consistency I was looking for with RL 26, so I've been running mostly h4831 for PRS and other matches. Did you have to have the mag well in the action opened up for the long length of the rounds? Did the Curtis bolt face have to be opened for the swede case head?

Greyfox,

When you are listing those weights is that with or without bipod?

I will weigh it and come back to you. It's not light!

I'm only just through my load development, but I'm really happy with the results. I need to validate my loads, but I got really strong speed nodes. The barrel is a Bartlein bull sporter with extended breech, 26" 1:7.5.

130 gr Berger ARH at ARC mag length: 4831/2213 + CCI No. 200 for 3,028 and 2209 + CCI No. 250 for 3,080.
140 gr Berger single feed: 4831/2213 for 3,089.
140 gr Woodleigh PP SN at ARC mag length: 4831/2213 for 3,053.
150 gr Sierra MatchKing single feed: 4831/2213 for 3,003 (lightly compressed).

I let the rifle tell me what it liked, and I am very happy with the results, especially for Hodgdon/ADI powder. The supply of Reloader is very intermittent here in Aust.

The Curtis bolt face accepted the swede case head without modification, which i checked before i purchased it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts