Who hunts with a chassis

T3ninja

Im in the process of building a new rifle and though I like the looks of classic stocks, I prefer shooting with a chassis. I have a savage .260 that wears an XLR chassis and I love it, but my god, it weighs more than my truck. With that said, I'm putting together a new .300 WM.

I just bought an ARC nucleus long action with 20 moa base.
I plan to build it with a 28" carbon 6 bull (3.3xx lbs estimate per them).

The interesting thing is XLR has their "element 3.0" magnesium chassis, with the lightest setup they claim 28 oz! If I'm reading correctly that's completely dressed including their carbon buttstock and grip!.
That seems to weigh even less than the traditional rifle stock with bottom metal.

So, for those of you that hunt with a chassis, what is the weight of your setup? What are you hunting with it, and how far are you carrying it? Is there anything else I should be looking at for stock/chassis options that is lightweight? This will MOSTLY be taken along for plinking but I will be packing it in CO for elk. For reference, The rifle I took last year was a browning max LR with 24" bartlein weighing in at 12lbs dressed.

My chassis (MPA Lite and a Hybrid) rIn in the 12.5-13.5# range. I do spot/stalk, and stand hunting. I hunt mostly whitetail, mule deer, antelope. Have the 300WM for the larger game(elk).
DE61AE39-E3B9-49D5-A06A-47B8423FDC25.jpeg 9EB0521F-8DD6-49AC-84A2-906A7FBC0F0B.jpeg 08A658EE-E294-48BB-BFB4-37108762D10A.jpeg

Im in the process of building a new rifle and though I like the looks of classic stocks, I prefer shooting with a chassis. I have a savage .260 that wears an XLR chassis and I love it, but my god, it weighs more than my truck. With that said, I'm putting together a new .300 WM.

The interesting thing is XLR has their "element 3.0" magnesium chassis, with the lightest setup they claim 28 oz! If I'm reading correctly that's completely dressed including their carbon buttstock and grip!.
That seems to weigh even less than the traditional rifle stock with bottom metal.

So, for those of you that hunt with a chassis, what is the weight of your setup? What are you hunting with it, and how far are you carrying it? Is there anything else I should be looking at for stock/chassis options that is lightweight? This will MOSTLY be taken along for plinking but I will be packing it in CO for elk. For reference, The rifle I took last year was a browning max LR with 24" bartlein weighing in at 12lbs dressed.
I am looking at this option also since the chassis has so many ways it can be adjusted.

I spoke to Ryan Pearce and he quoted a weight for a completed rifle using a Proof barrel,Element chassis and including the mag at 8 lbs and 7 ozs. That is about 10 ozs more than an equivalent say Manners stock with built in cheek rest.

I think with improvements in weight reduction the chassis will become more popular in the future as a hunting rig option.

Spending the summer months shooting an PRS competition with an 18+# set-up, my hunting rifles feel like lightweights. I have gotten used to the ergonomics of the chassis since shooting PRS and find my shooting from different positions translates nicely to my hunting shots. I could easily shave a couple of pounds with scope/mount selection and barrel contour. My chassis based rifles weight about the same as my conventionally stocked rifles, preferring some weight for the long shots. They are somewhat more awkward to carry, and, to handle the metal forearm in the freezing temps. I just bought a pretty slick detachable forearm pad from MPA that helps for warmth and serves as a soft shooting surface on the forearm as well.

I have a a 700 LA with a similar set up as you. The old element chassis w/ the folder. I've pack hunted with it, it's probably about 14 lbs or so with all the bells and whistles. It's not only rifle I use and certainly not the heaviest, but the weight does not bother me in the least. It's a problem for the lady though. She gets all the feather light rifles.

Thanks for the reply's! I've noticed carrying the chassis to be a bit awkward, But while deer hunting I'm pretty limited to how far I need to carry the rifle, 1/2 mile at most. Although while mountain hunting it will most likely be strapped to my backpack so the awkwardness probably won't be a problem, but i'd most likely want a folding adapter to shorten it a bit for packing.

I am looking at this option also since the chassis has so many ways it can be adjusted.

I spoke to Ryan Pearce and he quoted a weight for a completed rifle using a Proof barrel,Element chassis and including the mag at 8 lbs and 7 ozs. That is about 10 ozs more than an equivalent say Manners stock with built in cheek rest.

At just under 8.5 lbs that's not much more than that of a typical long barrel factory rifle, but having soo much more to offer. Not to mention bring a .300 mag, I don't want it much lighter. I will have a YHM brake on it for a QD suppressor mount. Most shooting will be suppressed. Since it will be somewhat of a "switch barrel" I also plan to have a 17-18" 6.5 PRC barrel made for a lighter and more compact Setup when needed.

I have a a 700 LA with a similar set up as you. The old element chassis w/ the folder. I've pack hunted with it, it's probably about 14 lbs or so with all the bells and whistles. It's not only rifle I use and certainly not the heaviest, but the weight does not bother me in the least. It's a problem for the lady though. She gets all the feather light rifles.

Same here! Below is an older picture with 4-14 30MM IOR Valdada ...

.30 LARA.jpg

It currently has a 3-18 35MM IOR Valdada but will be replacing it with 34MM USO 2.5-20 as soon as I find time.

Im older and dont want the weight,mountain hunting.Looking at idea for varmit.Theres a 6.5 prc,in classifieds now.Its a MPA ultralite proof,8-8oz.,sent me a picture on scale,non folder.On the web site they advertise 7 1/2 # and have same rifle in video where they state that.BrentC on here has one and built several and said 7 1/2 doable.Which is my goal.Many built conventional that are a pound less.These numbers some from Brent or web.Bighorn TL3 sa-28oz,Proof 24'' 3#,MPA UL chassis non-2-8oz.add mag and trigger.Am i missing anything.

Last edited:
I have a rifle in that chassis and find it inconvenient for anything but prone shooting...but that is what I use it for.

For hunting, this season was my first one carrying a metal rifle. A 458 SOCOM AR in deer season. I found it a heck of a lot colder with a metal rifle in my hands and lap at 18F than with a traditional rifle. I WILL find a way to insulate the handguard next year or carry a different rifle when it is cold.

Interesting thread. I'm bought a chassis for my rifle with the idea of doing some long range competitions to get better at long rang hunting. Was planning on switching the stock for hunting season but no sure yet.

Corey

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.