Who hunts with a chassis

I have a rifle in that chassis and find it inconvenient for anything but prone shooting...but that is what I use it for.

For hunting, this season was my first one carrying a metal rifle. A 458 SOCOM AR in deer season. I found it a heck of a lot colder with a metal rifle in my hands and lap at 18F than with a traditional rifle. I WILL find a way to insulate the handguard next year or carry a different rifle when it is cold.
How is it inconvenient?

Spending the summer months shooting an PRS competition with an 18+# set-up, my hunting rifles feel like lightweights. I have gotten used to the ergonomics of the chassis since shooting PRS and find my shooting from different positions translates nicely to my hunting shots. I could easily shave a couple of pounds with scope/mount selection and barrel contour. My chassis based rifles weight about the same as my conventionally stocked rifles, preferring some weight for the long shots. They are somewhat more awkward to carry, and, to handle the metal forearm in the freezing temps. I just bought a pretty slick detachable forearm pad from MPA that helps for warmth and serves as a soft shooting surface on the forearm as well.
Go as lite as you think you need to, but, think placing a "good" Break on the end to help with the recoil of a Large Cal rifle for Elk. No one will hear the Noise, and you won't feel the Pain of the Lite Rifle. Just my take on things. PS: I also shoot a HMR-PRO IN 300 WM some 14# set up for me!

The one I'm putting together is going to have a YHM QD mount/brake on it until my cab is out of ATF jail. It's going to be a long unwieldy looking creature but as long as it's accurate and relatively light, (hoping 10lbs or less before the can) I'll be happy. I wouldn't consider myself recoil shy/sensitive.

I bought a Tikka T3 in .270 and was seriously disappointed with the quality and accuracy of the X-Lite stock system. Brownells.com had an MDT LSS chassis on sale for $275, so I figured what the heck. Long story short, I love it.
When I got the LSS chassis in the mail I thought the box was empty. It weighs nothing. However, I fit the gun with a new, 6 lb., barrel and a beast of a scope. So, it probably weighs somewhere in The 10 lb. range now. The weight is not a problem for me. I walk and sit and walk and sit when hunting. Also, I never carry the gun in a ready position when hunting. So, the (probably very real) problem of the aluminum sucking the heat from my hands is not an issue either.
However, to be perfectly honest, I do feel like a bit of a tactitard when carrying a chassis rifle around in the woods. But, all that goes away once I lock on a 30" bipod and sit behind the gun.
The white pic shows the stock T3 in the LSS chassis with a Leupold VX freedom scope. The red pick shows the new 26" heavy barrel and 6-24×50 scope.

Attachments

• 20190102_174944.jpg
    20190102_174944.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 421
  • 20191121_014230.jpg
    20191121_014230.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 422
Last edited:
My primary motivation for experimenting with a chassis system had a lot do do with my favorite, hunting style, long range whitetail hunting in the Western and Canada open country. This is quite different from the whitetail hunting that I spent a majority of my 50+ years of hunting, but for sure the most enjoyable, productive, rewarding for me. The approach is to spot/identify a good buck that frequents a particular creek bottom, valley, or slew typically in a hilly/terrain, and select a vantage point that can offer a +1000 yard vista of his territory. There is lots of glassing, gaging movements, relocating/repositioning, and long days/hours of sitting. These bucks did not get big and old by being dumb, usually traveling alone and frequently in heavy cover in the early and late hours. When the shot presents itself, there is little time and re-positioning is usually required.
Shooting PRS during the off-season, the familiarity and advantages of the chassis can be put to use. For example, the ARCA rail system when used either a bi-pod or tripod can quickly by adjusted to provide "benchrest steady" shooting positions from prone through even standing positions by adjusting to the "balance point" of the rifle on a variety of surfaces, as can stock adjustments, accommodating angles, position, clothing, etc. For those that have used a chassis for PRS/competition, a conventional stock design for precision shooting from a variety of rests/positions under time restraints may ultimately feel slow and awkward. Don't get me wrong, my carry/LR conventionally stocked rifle is not being discarded any time soon, but for the type of hunting described above, IMO, the chassis may offer some unique advantages.
Photo: Four days of glassing and relocating in this + one mile sized territory resulted in the drop-tine shown in post #2 of this thread. With my buddy/spotter, Nolan,...an invaluable asset!
159FBCB4-8E42-4748-B4AD-C7538A95DC57.jpeg

My primary motivation for experimenting with a chassis system had a lot do do with my favorite, hunting style, long range whitetail hunting in the Western and Canada open country. This is quite different from the whitetail hunting that I spent a majority of my 50+ years of hunting, but for sure the most enjoyable, productive, rewarding for me. The approach is to spot/identify a good buck that frequents a particular creek bottom, valley, or slew typically in a hilly/terrain, and select a vantage point that can offer a +1000 yard vista of his territory. There is lots of glassing, gaging movements, relocating/repositioning, and long days/hours of sitting. These bucks did not get big and old by being dumb, usually traveling alone and frequently in heavy cover in the early and late hours. When the shot presents itself, there is little time and re-positioning is usually required.
Shooting PRS during the off-season, the familiarity and advantages of the chassis can be put to use. For example, the ARCA rail system when used either a bi-pod or tripod can quickly by adjusted to provide "benchrest steady" shooting positions from prone through even standing positions by adjusting to the "balance point" of the rifle on a variety of surfaces, as can stock adjustments, accommodating angles, position, clothing, etc. For those that have used a chassis for PRS/competition, a conventional stock design for precision shooting from a variety of rests/positions under time restraints may ultimately feel slow and awkward. Don't get me wrong, my carry/LR conventionally stocked rifle is not being discarded any time soon, but for the type of hunting described above, IMO, the chassis may offer some unique advantages.
Photo: Four days of glassing and relocating in this + one mile sized territory resulted in the drop-tine shown in post #2 of this thread. With my buddy/spotter, Nolan,...an invaluable asset!
View attachment 167244
I put a bravo chassis on my 308, it's a chassis built like a stock, but I agree, a lot of prs elements can be incorporated in hunting, that my conventional stock hasn't made it back on the rifle.
The other thing I like about the bravo is the aluminium is covered by plastic and doesn't get so cold in late fall.

I put a bravo chassis on my 308, it's a chassis built like a stock, but I agree, a lot of prs elements can be incorporated in hunting, that my conventional stock hasn't made it back on the rifle.
The other thing I like about the bravo is the aluminium is covered by plastic and doesn't get so cold in late fall.
I have wondered about the Bravo

Just put an XLR Envy on a Remington 5R Gen2. Was having some grouping issues with the original stock and not so happy even after bedding.

Bolted it up this evening and shot 2 groups averaging .44-.46 with factory 140 gr ammo, much happier.

XLR2.JPG

XLR.JPG

XLR group.JPG

XLR group3.JPG

Last edited:
20200104_192005.jpg

Just received this one over the weekend. Going to build it out as a retirement present to myself. Not sure what it will end up being...I have a barrel, caliber and cartridge decision still to make...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.