Who hunts with a chassis

Origin action, PacNor barrel, Oryx chassis, Vortex glass. 12.75# 280 Ackley, new 7mag barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks arrived after hunting season was over.

Attachments

• Message_1604777748100 (1).jpg
    Message_1604777748100 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
  • 105_1207.JPG
    105_1207.JPG
    979.4 KB · Views: 157
I see you cut down some shooting sticks to make a DIY bipod buddy for a rear rest. How's that work for ya?

I like it better than a bag. I hold the legs with my left hand and it tracks thru recoil the same as the bipod on the front. Also allows more versatility for height than any single bag that I've tried, and takes up way less space in a pocket. The shock cord was worn out in the sticks, and I use my trekking poles as shooting sticks anyway (carry less gear whenever you can) so I figured why not give it a try...

I keep looking at the xlr magnesium chassis for my build I'm starting. They are in gj which is fairly local to me. Only 3 hours away.

It appears that in most cases to get a good chassis design that is not a little heavy for carry is pretty pricey for most.
The Sig Cross seems to fill the bill, still researching that rifle.

I have three chassis rifles. Sold off the .338 Lap on the XLR - XL chassis, it was just toooooooo damned heavy. Switched over to a .338 RUM with a much slimmer profile barrel now, 6.5 on a McCrees chassis, kinda porky, and a 6.5 x 284 that's almost finished on an MDT chassis

I have a rifle in that chassis and find it inconvenient for anything but prone shooting...but that is what I use it for.

For hunting, this season was my first one carrying a metal rifle. A 458 SOCOM AR in deer season. I found it a heck of a lot colder with a metal rifle in my hands and lap at 18F than with a traditional rifle. I WILL find a way to insulate the handguard next year or carry a different rifle when it is cold.
I hunted with a Grendel for a few years and it had a Lancer carbon fiber handguard for the specific reason of low thermal conduction.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.