Who does good work in a reasonable amout of time

Skimbleshanks

I am currently trying to get parts and down-payment back from a highly respected gunsmith that has taken 6 years to for all I know do nothing. I am very sour on trusting another smith. But have already spent the money on all the components to build an accurate rem 700. If I do get my parts back who can I trust to not waste the next half of this decade?

Bob Green in PA. I have not had him build a rifle, but he has chambered several barrels for me. Never takes more than 2 weeks. He is a good BR shooter.

Bob Green Home

Skimbleshanks,

...a highly respected gunsmith that has taken 6 years to for all I know do nothing.

This is a contradiction of terms since every 'highly respected' gunsmith I know is running about 6 to 9 months for a complete build, usually less if you supply the parts.

I only know of three gunsmiths in the last 25 years who have delayed clients for long periods of time and it was because they were trying to make ends meet and then go out of business. Bad business managers.

Have you had any contact or explanation from this person? How does he justify 6 years and most importantly, how do you justify waiting that long?

Getting your parts and money back should be as simple as telling this person that you want them back. If they try to delay you again, simply inform him that you have turned this over to the ATF and that they will handle it from here on out. Local law enforcement in his area can be helpful also.

There are a dozen or more trustworthy, competent gunsmiths who hang out on this board. If you are truly having a problem finding someone to trust I can supply you with a list to help you.

Regards.

Skimbleshanks,

This is a contradiction of terms since every 'highly respected' gunsmith I know is running about 6 to 9 months for a complete build, usually less if you supply the parts.

I only know of three gunsmiths in the last 25 years who have delayed clients for long periods of time and it was because they were trying to make ends meet and then go out of business. Bad business managers.

Have you had any contact or explanation from this person? How does he justify 6 years and most importantly, how do you justify waiting that long?

Getting your parts and money back should be as simple as telling this person that you want them back. If they try to delay you again, simply inform him that you have turned this over to the ATF and that they will handle it from here on out. Local law enforcement in his area can be helpful also.

There are a dozen or more trustworthy, competent gunsmiths who hang out on this board. If you are truly having a problem finding someone to trust I can supply you with a list to help you.

Regards.

He's got a separate post about this in GD forum..

My last two builds have been 3 weeks door to door. I had to wait one month before shipping to the smith on one of them and two weeks on another.

I had all my parts and reamers though.

Bostrom Gunsmithing in Florida. They build some excellent rifles and many competition guns too.

I am currently trying to get parts and down-payment back from a highly respected gunsmith that has taken 6 years to for all I know do nothing. I am very sour on trusting another smith. But have already spent the money on all the components to build an accurate rem 700. If I do get my parts back who can I trust to not waste the next half of this decade?
The fastest gun builder today is probably Chad Dixon. The name of his shop is Long Rifles Inc.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.