Which tripod head for shooting

I'm shooting guns under 15lbs off this setup and using for glassing,

i currently have a
Amazon product ASIN B07D3DGFNPa bit heavy and too adjustable and lever locks suck.

and a
Some Aoki brand 35mm high weight capacity ball head. Cheap & works. Too much adjustment most of the time.

some Leofoto clamp that barely holds my short rail for 5 shots….mid size magnums. Previous clamp was good for 1 shot..ugh.

Over all, I find the center too tall and therefore has some flexibility. Over 600 yards, this is noticeably harder to hold on target. out to 400, it is rock solid. I can make hits to 600 with confidence.

Use a bowl top attach an arca clamp,simple,solid
I'm going this way next time.

It has a ton of features and strengths I'd like to move to like twist lock legs, bowl head, ARCA or pic rail compatible, carbon fiber legs, lighter weight, still decent price.

The guys at Outdoorsman claim the fluid head is best for shooting off of.
Possibly. I would love to hear why from a user….possible limits, etc.

Last edited:
So I just recently started looking into getting a tripod to shoot off of. I honestly had no idea they was so high. I have shot off of a BOG Deathgrip and felt like it was really stable. One downside to the Deathgrip is it only had a saddle on it. They have since came out with Deathgrip infinite that has a small ball head and can shoot the arca rail or saddle. I dont currently have any rifles with a arca rail but wanting to move in that direction. The deathgrip infinite seems to be a whole lot more reasonable (price wise). Are these other tripods worth the extra cash and if so why? Some cost up to $1200+. I'm a fan of buy once, cry once but it has got to make a little sense

So I just recently started looking into getting a tripod to shoot off of. I honestly had no idea they was so high. I have shot off of a BOG Deathgrip and felt like it was really stable. One downside to the Deathgrip is it only had a saddle on it. They have since came out with Deathgrip infinite that has a small ball head and can shoot the arca rail or saddle. I dont currently have any rifles with a arca rail but wanting to move in that direction. The deathgrip infinite seems to be a whole lot more reasonable (price wise). Are these other tripods worth the extra cash and if so why? Some cost up to $1200+. I'm a fan of buy once, cry once but it has got to make a little sense
Following. And I have the Deathgrip Infinite. But haven't shot off it much yet. It seems like it's very high quality.

The Leofotos do everything I need in a tripod.......

I have a LS-324C and a LS-384C, both with LB-65 leveling bases and LHC-60 ARCA clamps:

KfZwANk.jpg

Yeah I don't use a tripod enough to justify the RRS prices. I also won't buy one of the skypod bi-pods for $900 when my harris works great. I'm not trying to put down the guys who buy the expensive gear or the companies that make it.

I have realized that "lightweight" generally costs more money but I can't see spending a grand or more on a 3.5# tripod when my 5# tripod cost $400.

Maybe my $400 tripod will let me down one day and I'll be wishing I spent the extra coin......but I doubt it.

This is what I use Carbon Fiber Heavy Duty Tripod ARTCISE 81'' Professional Tripod for Camera, 10-Layer Carbon Fibre Tube, 32.5mm Leg with Low Profile Tripod Ball Head for Canon Nikon Sony, DSLR SLR Digital Camcorder https://a.co/d/g3TA5AS
I went with it because it was tall enough to to use standing without using the center extension. The only problem I had was that the screw that holds the clamp to the ball head was too short and I ended having to replace it with one from the hardware store. Other than that it's been good. Grandpa used it to kill his bull this year standing up and he's 6'3". Paired to a SRS hunter rail on the gun. My hunting partner bought one and ended up driving past a tree in the sxs with one of the legs sticking out of the bed. They sent him a whole new leg for free. The ball is plenty smooth for me and locks down very well.

I just bought the Two Vets Recon V2 tripod and I'm very happy with it. Being 6'-2", it allows me to glass standing up without stooping over like my last tripod. I also have their 55mm head with a RRS BTC-Pro screw clamp. It's not as fast as a lever but I can attach both picatinny and ARCA rails to it. I will probably try the RRS SC-ARC clamp with the lever this year. It just looked really bulky.
If I had it to do over, I would have bought the Recon instead. The V2 doesn't allow me to use an Anvil head. I've only shot off of it for practice but it seems solid.
I have a brand new Area419 arcalock if anyone is interested. Sixty beans TYD.

Lenwood,
I'm currently in the same boat as you. Looking for a new tripod upgrade that will be used for glassing and shooting platform. Mostly will be used for glassing primarily. Been looking at the Revic Hunter but found the Leofoto 325C is the same tripod but less $$. I plan to purchase the Leofoto 325 as it seems it fit my hunting needs and purpose, Good luck!