Which tripod head for shooting

So I just recently started looking into getting a tripod to shoot off of. I honestly had no idea they was so high. I have shot off of a BOG Deathgrip and felt like it was really stable. One downside to the Deathgrip is it only had a saddle on it. They have since came out with Deathgrip infinite that has a small ball head and can shoot the arca rail or saddle. I dont currently have any rifles with a arca rail but wanting to move in that direction. The deathgrip infinite seems to be a whole lot more reasonable (price wise). Are these other tripods worth the extra cash and if so why? Some cost up to $1200+. I'm a fan of buy once, cry once but it has got to make a little sense
What I show in post #29 is my $200 setup and some of its struggles. I wish I could see more or other peoples struggles in here. I'm sure RRA, 2 Vets are better, but in what way?

I buy into the buy once, cry once thing sort of, but I don't really. If you buy a $10000 custom build with optic, you should be well taken care of in every way. If you didn't know who could build it or really what you wanted, then you probably have a $10000 well built rifle/optic that has a ton of application issue. I feel like you just have to learn your way through these things. You cannot really buy your shots.

The grasses have been really high the past two coues wt seasons. First year we struggled with bipods lying prone. ( due to getting older I struggled with difficulty moving my neck for that position. ) The joke was one of your friends was along to lie down on the grass in front of your rifle so you could see to make the shot.

This summer I began trying sitting shots. The first approach worked quite well. I used the 25S Harris bipod with legs fully extended. I placed a Slick tripod with a small ball head under the rear of the rifle. I used the flat part of the arca base as the platform tilted to match the angle of the stock. To protect the stock and add some friction, used anti slip tape that has abrasive in it.

This allowed me to shoot my muzzleloader out to 400 yds to hit a 10" gong. I later used it effectively on a coues wt buck at 200 yds.

It IS crude but it worked. The beauty of this system is I could glass with the tripod the detach the binoculars with its arca base and move it under the rifle.

My friend used a tripod with a larger ball head with an Outdoorsman's panning head with an arca top. He would use the setup for glassing then attach the Outdoorsman's folding rifle saddle. He made a 417 yd shot on a cow elk with his muzzleloader and just the saddle.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripod-accessories/products/outdoorsmans-rifle-rest

I am trying other setups. One ditches the bipod. Will use my glassing tripod setup with a single V attached to an arca base for the ballhead and the bog bipod in rear. It is an older discontinued model. It is lightweight, has telescopic legs which are hinged at the top so you can widen or narrow the bipod's stance. It can quickly be adjusted wide or narrow to get the rifle lined up. Very stable. The bog switcheroo bipod is similar.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bog-adrenaline-switcheroo-bipod

I can machine things to I am making a twin V top for the tripod which will use an arca base to attach to the ballhead. I have a discontinued bog pod with many telescopic pieces and several clamps. I opened up the diameter of one clamp and took the shorter bog pod leg with a swivel at the bottom and am in the process of making a rear support leg that clamps to the front tripod leg. Sorry no pics yet.

I intend to try all of these setups. Some of these setups will also work standing.

FYI I used that discontinued bog bipod to make a very fast shot on my cow elk with the muzzleloader at 217 yards. No time for any type of setup, just quickly put rifle on the bipod and shoot!

I think the best thing a shooter can do is try a variety of setups to see what works best. Also practice as much as you can.

Last edited:
What I show in post #29 is my $200 setup and some of its struggles. I wish I could see more or other peoples struggles in here. I'm sure RRA, 2 Vets are better, but in what way?
I bought the Two Vets but honestly, it's hard to tell the differences between my buddy's Leofoto he bought off of Amazon for about half what I paid. I'm sure there are some small things and maybe some quality differences but for the obvious things like weight, height, carbon legs, etc. they are about the same.

Some of your struggles could probably be eliminated by not using an extendable center post. Get a tripod that has longer legs and it will be more stable.

A lot of guys shooting NRL matches are just throwing a bag on top of the center section and putting their binoculars and rifles on top of the bag. It's faster if speed is your game but not as stable if you have time to clamp onto a head.

Here is a good video on shooting with a tripod.

Modern Day Sniper: Tripod Shooting - 3 Mistakes When Shooting from a Tripod

Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle that has an ARCA base? Have an RRS tripod with Anvil 30 and love it with my rifles with ARCA rails. But, there is no way to get an ARCA rail for my Blaser R8 so I'm looking for saddle I can slide on to the Anvil 30.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle that has an ARCA base? Have an RRS tripod with Anvil 30 and love it with my rifles with ARCA rails. But, there is no way to get an ARCA rail for my Blaser R8 so I'm looking for saddle I can slide on to the Anvil 30.
I've had good luck with the Triclawps.

I bought the Two Vets but honestly, it's hard to tell the differences between my buddy's Leofoto he bought off of Amazon for about half what I paid. I'm sure there are some small things and maybe some quality differences but for the obvious things like weight, height, carbon legs, etc. they are about the same.

Some of your struggles could probably be eliminated by not using an extendable center post. Get a tripod that has longer legs and it will be more stable.

A lot of guys shooting NRL matches are just throwing a bag on top of the center section and putting their binoculars and rifles on top of the bag. It's faster if speed is your game but not as stable if you have time to clamp onto a head.

Here is a good video on shooting with a tripod.

Modern Day Sniper: Tripod Shooting - 3 Mistakes When Shooting from a Tripod

Which leofoto does your buddy have?
I'm on the same boat. I hunt once a year and would like to glass/shoot off of it. I know RRS is top of the line but it's hard to cough up that much money for a once a year use.

That leofoto 325 looks nice is the weight really 4.3 pounds and I've never used this type of tripod for glassing always been a fluid head or pan are they good for glassing

In general, Leofoto makes pretty good stuff from my experience. Just make sure the weight rating is much higher than you need.

to be clear, my only Leofoto parts are my shooting clamp and my low budget Labradar mini tripod and clamp.

Last edited:
I'm running the Revic tripods. Really liking them. They have a solid head.

Attachments

• 9A5B9E4D-B57F-4451-AC27-3341EE6ECB51.jpeg
    9A5B9E4D-B57F-4451-AC27-3341EE6ECB51.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 49
I wonder how those clamp down do, after being fire from there. I used a tripod in Africa, but wasn't clamp down type. Forearm rest only. I didn't loose sight either after shot. I tried their 2 holding point pod for front and rear. Didn't like either. Was able to adjust it for up or down nor left or right. You were petty set in one position. Animal don't stay in one position while waiting for you to shoot. To me it's fluid position and you need to adjust all the time.
At the same time there has been been a lot of talk about shooting from prone position. I had often wonder in brushy areas how that was going to work.
The other is carrying the tripod around while you hunting. 1 more item to deal with. I do keep one around in my pickup all the time. It's a Primos that adjustable by squeezing the hand release to adjust.