Fluid head instead of ball head for tripods

Tragik

Hi all,

I've seen some great threads on here regarding tripods. I'm going to try a tripod setup, both for shooting at the range and backpacking hunting (where I will use it for both glassing and shooting). I'm running the MPA BA Chassis which will be great for a more direct connection to the head of the tripod (as opposed to a pig saddle, for example). I'm probably going to run a very sturdy (but admittedly very heavy) tripod - the Leofoto 404C. RRS tripods are really nice but way out of my price range.

The point of this thread is regarding the head of the tripod. The MPA BA chassis fits perfectly with something like the RRS Anvil 30 ballhead - correct me if I'm wrong. If I end up buying a ballhead, I'll be getting the Anvil 30. However, unless there's a reason I'm not aware of, I want to use a really solid fluid head instead of a ball head. It's a bit more weight but seems way sturdier and easier to control.

Is anyone aware of a great fluid head for shooting? Any reasons (other than weight) to not go with a fluid head over a ball head?

Thanks in advance!

I'd pass on the fluid head unless you're a video photographer and it can pull double duty. Fluids are designed for smooth panning not for still imaging. And try to stick with a middle weight tripod and ball head. Manfrotto makes some nice pods.... Just make sure to get one that's tall enough for you...

If you want it solid for shooting I would go RRS leveling base and a RRS or Feisol 3372 tripod. most everything else will probably be a compromise for a shooting rest.

Check out the comp 40 from two vets shooter supply, rock solid tripod not too heavy, and mates up to my anvil like it was meant to be. Nice setup.

I just ordered a Leofoto LN-364C and RRS BH-55 ball head with the Vyce mount. I can mount an Arca plate on a couple of rifles but not all of them.

My primary use will probably be with my camera.

In all of my research, I can't remember anyone recommending a fluid head over the ball head.

I shoot an MPA BA Chassis using the ARCA mount on the Anvil 30. Mounted on a carbon fiber tripod, this system has proven to be rock solid, producing sitting, 1000 yard accuracy comparable to my prone position. The panning and angle control of the Anvil 30 is fast and intuitive. Total weight about 5#. Check this tripod out. I have one and find it to be excellent!
https://www.twovetssportinggoods.com/products/two-vets-sporting-goods-tripod

I shoot an MPA BA Chassis using the ARCA mount on the Anvil 30. Mounted on a carbon fiber tripod, this system has proven to be rock solid, producing sitting, 1000 yard accuracy comparable to my prone position. The panning and angle control of the Anvil 30 is fast and intuitive. Total weight about 5#. Check this tripod out. I have one and find it to be excellent!
https://www.twovetssportinggoods.com/products/two-vets-sporting-goods-tripod
I looked at that tripod and liked the specs - problem being it's out of stock.

The LN-364C is very close in specs and only a little more expensive - but it's available.

I looked at that tripod and liked the specs - problem being it's out of stock.

The LN-364C is very close in specs and only a little more expensive - but it's available.
I understand Two Vets is expecting a shipment 4/1. Yes the LN-364C(and the RRS) is very likely made by the same Asian OEM.

I guess it depends on your needs. If you are a serious glasser like the guys around S. Az that hunt coues wt, we all use fluid heads on our heavier tripod setups. We spend a lot of time looking across canyons for these deer. There is a great deal of panning which is where the fluid head excels. Typically we use 15 x 56 Swarovski binoculars.

I looked at the various setups suggested by others and they all seem useful. I have an older fluid head like this one on the heavy tripod. Entire rig weighs 4.5 lbs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217468-REG/manfrotto_manfrotto_128rc_qr_micro.html

I don't shoot from the tripod use a harris bi-pod and weibad bag. The fluid head has quick release base. I used a second base and made a small bag to sit on top of tripod but never used it during a hunt.

It sounds like the choice between using a fluid head vs a ball head really comes down to the primary use. If the goal is to support a rifle that can weigh 10-15+ pounds in a rock steady position, a quality ball head like the Anvil 30 mounted on a stable tripod will provide more then sufficient rigidity with more speed and control to aquire targets at long range through the use of a single lever that can be quickly and easily modulated. If the primary use is for extended glassing and panning, a fluid head will enable smoother and more precise transitions in viewing from area to area over extended periods of time, reducing fatigue. The fluid head requires control points adjusting for both vertcle and horizontal adjustments. I think that the fluid head that works so well with the spotting scopes, binoculars, and cameras for which they are intended, may not provide the same level of speed and flexibility to acquire a target in timed competition, or a spookey whitetail at 800 Yards. Just my impression having used both, but I'm more then open to correction if I have missed something.

Last edited:
I use both type heads depending on the primary function of my trip. I use a "Jim White" pan head almost all the time though when I'm in the field hunting and even at the range on occasion. I hunt out west primarily and use 15 Swaros and one of their spotting scopes as well. Jim White passed away a few years back and the "Outdoorsmans" bought the rights to his fluid pan head. I also use a Outdoorsmans tripod which is rock solid and very lightweight. You can see it here along with their fine quality tripods. Personally I've never felt steady enough taking a shot of 800 yards at deer off a tripod setup. I've shot numerous Coues bucks over 600 yards (691 longest) and they've always offered me the time to get setup in a solid position to make the shot. I can't speak to competition type shooting as I've never done it but I imagine time is critical in your setup. https://outdoorsmans.com/

Good luck, Joe

Last edited:
Got to keep this LRH thread, as have for years been trying to find quality tripods, et and here a lot mentioned and I can go look at them. Sure been helpful. Thanks folks

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated! The Leofoto 404C is tempting because it has a load capacity of about 100 lbs I believe. I assumed, and maybe I'm wrong, that it would therefore be more sturdy from either wind or let's say my own slight movements or the weight of a 15 lb rifle system.

Because the primary function will most likely be shooting rather than glassing, it sounds like I should go with a ball head. That Anvil 30 seems like a great option.

I received my LN-364C today (but not my ball head or Vyce).

I've never owned a quality tripod before so I have no basis for comparison.

This tripod is very sturdy! The tubes are robust with little/no flex. With that said, I won't be attempting to hang off the tripod. Would it hold my weight? Maybe. Max weight capacity is listed at 77 lbs. Not a featherweight, but not heavy (listed at 5.7 lbs). With all four leg sections fully extended the platform is almost eye-level to me standing up straight. Max height is listed at 63 inches.

Can't wait to get the rest of the kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.