Which tripod head for shooting

Anvil 30 or Harris bipod on the ground. Every other ball head including the ones from RRS are a compromise to accuracy.

Also curious as to using a fluid head for shooting. I've shot off mine before, but that wasn't with the rifle attached. Slightly afraid the recoil would damage it.

Ok at the bottom of this thread under, "Similar Threads" there is a thread that covers fluid heads.

So, does anyone use a leveling head? I think that pans and has some up and down movement but not sure about adjustability for cant.

I started using the rrs bh55. I got it before the anvil came out. It is ok. But I went to a rrs leveling head and it is more stable than the bh55. The leveling head gives something like 15 degrees of adjustment so that could be elevation or cant. I just adjust a leg if I need more. I have not used an anvil 30 so I can't compare that to a leveling head. I use a two vets qdt with the leveling head for shooting and have the bh55 on a feisol for spotting.

RRS TA-2U Leveling Base with Lever-Release Clamp is a great leveling base. This is the newer model and has a much better locking system and also gives 40 degrees of cant. I personally like a leveling base because it doesn't position the rifle so far from the tripod.

I have the Surui 284 tripod with the Surui K-X ball head and I'm extremely pleased. It's load rating is around 34-38lbs and the tripod/head weigh right at 3lbs total.
I do have a saddle on mine for now until I get the Arca base on the rifle.

Attachments

• 20221118_131541.jpg
    20221118_131541.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 228
  • 20221118_121334.jpg
    20221118_121334.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 237
I am using the RRS BH40. I wanted to be able to glass easily with a heavy spotting scope and binos. So far it's easy to shoot from and works fine with spotting. I prefer a pan head for spotting, but couldn't shoot off of mine well enough. Ball head is a nice compromise.