Which target for long range rifle and short range pistol fun?

Bigeclipse

I am looking at buying 1 of these two shooting targets. One is a classic style shooting tree with ar500 steel and the other is a hostage style shooting tree in ar500. The difference is the Classic style comes with 6inch paddle targets while the hostage is 4 inch diameter paddles. Not sure which one would be more fun? Thoughts? Pictures below of the ones im interested in.

Rifle will be shot from 100-300 yards away from target.

Attachments

• Target 1.png
    Target 1.png
    611.6 KB · Views: 387
  • Target 2.png
    Target 2.png
    599.3 KB · Views: 383
We have over 50+ steel targets at our ranch range and you can start to really see the difference in AR 550 compared to Ar 500 from pistol targets to close range 200-300 yd shots with magnums. If i had to go back and buy i would purchase 550 for everything, seems they will outlast me! As for which one i would do the silhouette for rifle and paddles for pistol. Just my .02

We have over 50+ steel targets at our ranch range and you can start to really see the difference in AR 550 compared to Ar 500 from pistol targets to close range 200-300 yd shots with magnums. If i had to go back and buy i would purchase 550 for everything, seems they will outlast me! As for which one i would do the silhouette for rifle and paddles for pistol. Just my .02
The silhouette one actually has paddles in it that swing out when you hit those red center shots so it's similar to the dueling tree. I think the target will be for 99 percent pistols so not too concerned on longevity to be honest. Just asking which you think would be more fun to shoot.

Gotcha! I would say the silhouette sounds more fun to me and you can use it for other distances as well.

I am looking at buying 1 of these two shooting targets. One is a classic style shooting tree with ar500 steel and the other is a hostage style shooting tree in ar500. The difference is the Classic style comes with 6inch paddle targets while the hostage is 4 inch diameter paddles. Not sure which one would be more fun? Thoughts? Pictures below of the ones im interested in.

Rifle will be shot from 100-300 yards away from target.

The "Christmas Tree" type targets tend to send ricochets off at odd and potentially very dangerous angles so I'd go with the other version.

My preference would be the silhouette style if I wanted one. the different sizes of paddles can make it more challenging to use the smallest when you could.

Also as mentioned the errant ricochet potential is more controllable.

Just my preference

J E CUSTOM

The "Christmas Tree" type targets tend to send ricochets off at odd and potentially very dangerous angles so I'd go with the other version.
The tree I'm looking at has a 20 degree forward lean to help direct them down but I was leaning towards getting the other one anyways.

It depends on many things/ intent. For training of course the hostage target would be more pertinent. For fun the tree has more targets so more options to shoot. But since the target is intended for 100-300 yards I'd go with the hostage target. Only because the plates are smaller making it more challenging.

The hostage target also gives you feedback when you miss. Flinching; plammng; sight picture etc.
epags

My advice is buy the silhouette with orange flappers , if you have accessibility to shoot longer ranges .

I have a silhouette with the 5" orange terrorist "head" above the shoulder and a 3" orange flapper at center-mass , heart level . The head will flip from side-to-side when hit , and the heart will flap backward when hit . My shooting buddies and I usually set this target at 700 yards , and sometimes at 900 yards , to try to kill the terrorist , and hopefully not loose the hostage to " Friendly Fire " .
700 yards is not too difficult unless the wind gets up , or becomes erratic , but 900 yards is much more difficult , with the 5" orange head being slightly larger than 1/2 MOA , and the 3" orange heart being 1/3 MOA in size .
It makes a friendly competition that is fun .

DMP25-06

The tree I'm looking at has a 20 degree forward lean to help direct them down but I was leaning towards getting the other one anyways.
That angle changes instantly when the flipper starts to travel backwards and will kick the rounds then off at odd and potentially dangerous angles.

We had an incident on a public range that had 20' berms with some guys plinking Christmas tree targets with .22 semi autos and AR's that sent rounds two lanes over into our bay hitting behind us while we were on the line and some slamming into the berm in front of us as well.

We were over a hundred yards to the right of them and about 150yds further west.

that incident changed a whole lot of minds about using that type of target in the future.

That angle changes instantly when the flipper starts to travel backwards and will kick the rounds then off at odd and potentially dangerous angles.

We had an incident on a public range that had 20' berms with some guys plinking Christmas tree targets with .22 semi autos and AR's that sent rounds two lanes over into our bay hitting behind us while we were on the line and some slamming into the berm in front of us as well.

We were over a hundred yards to the right of them and about 150yds further west.

that incident changed a whole lot of minds about using that type of target in the future.
Good to know thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.